WHS2011 Windows Home Server Client Backup svc won't continue to run RRS feed

• Question

• I continue to receive an alert stating that "The Windows Server Client Backup service is not running."

I have followed the instructions, verified in services that it is not running.  I have restarted it, made sure it was set to "Automatic" and closed services.  In about a minute the alert appears again.  I open services and the The Windows Server Client Backup has once again stopped.

I have tried rebooting the server and starting the process again to no avail.

The client PC back-up service is running.

Friday, May 16, 2014 2:40 AM

Answers

• This often points to a corrupted backup database.

You can either try to repair it via console or completely delete the backup database and start backups from the scratch.

Also check the event log on the server carefully, if there are messages showing up indicating a failing disk or something like that.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Monday, June 2, 2014 3:23 PM
    Friday, May 16, 2014 7:23 AM
  • Try a different USB Port to boot (USB 2) if available. I have booted many times with multiple machines with a Server created USB Stick.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, May 17, 2014 9:38 PM

All replies

• This often points to a corrupted backup database.

You can either try to repair it via console or completely delete the backup database and start backups from the scratch.

Also check the event log on the server carefully, if there are messages showing up indicating a failing disk or something like that.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, May 16, 2014 7:23 AM
  • This makes sense.  Two weeks ago I started having a hard drive failure of the client, (thinks hard drives head skittering all over the platters).  I installed a new drive, Windows 7, drivers, updates etc.  When I established connection to the server and when I started a restore, the server initiated a back-up.  I attempted to stop the back-up which took a couple minutes to halt is when the client back-up database must have been corrupted.

I logged onto the console, opened the client back-up folder, deleted the contents, emptied the trash can and rebooted.  Upon reboot there were no alerts and I was able to set-up the back-up schedule for the client with no problem. Thanks!

By the way, seem the creation of a bootable memory stick does not work.  The client freezes and shows the codes Error 0xffaeb477 (0xc0000025).

Apparently this has been going on since the introduction of WHS2011 V2 and it has not yet been rectified?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-system/whs-2011-full-client-restore-fails-0xc0000025/27745afd-acfe-461c-8936-91af2de90642

Saturday, May 17, 2014 8:45 PM
  • Try a different USB Port to boot (USB 2) if available. I have booted many times with multiple machines with a Server created USB Stick.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, May 17, 2014 9:38 PM