none
Problem with activation menu in Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• I had to change my motherboard due to the old one somehow got fried (comp wouldn't power up, replaced the power box and switch, no fix) and everything was fine up to the point where windows detected a hardware change and needs to re-activate windows, it has given me 3 days to activate it.

However that isn't the problem...the problem is when I opened the activation window, it doesn't display anything other than broken image boxes,  I have taken a screenshot of the problem:

http://picsorban.com/upload/actvprblm.jpg

How do I activate or repair this?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, March 31, 2008 1:04 AM

Answers

• Do you have the Dell recovery software issued with the system @ the time of purchase?  Also did you open the link I provided in both of my posts and look @ the site and locate the number to Call Microsoft in order to telephone activate your windows?

stephen Holm

WGA forum volunteer

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 1:34 AM

All replies

• Hello 777

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) forum.  Your issue is related to Product Activation.  The purpose of this forum is the support of the WGA program and your question falls out of the scope for our support.   First let me ask you some question regarding your Certificate of Authentication (COA) sticker:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

Should your COA be an OEM installation please reference the following information.  OEM licenses for XP are valid only on the computer onto which the license is first installed, and that license cannot be moved to another computer (unlike the retail license, which can be moved from one computer to another).

For the purposes of defining what a computer is, since a computer is just a collection of parts, MS has established that the motherboard is the base component that defines a computer.  Therefore, an OEM license cannot be moved from one motherboard to another.

There is one exception to the above policy, and that is to accommodate a situation where the original motherboard was replaced because it was defective. So, under the circumstances you describe, you would not be allowed to move the original OEM license for XP from your old motherboard to a new motherboard, since the reason for the move is not that the original has become defective. You will need to activate by phone and explain the situation which you are have experienced. 

In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. I do suggest trying to activate using the “Activate by Phone” method from the activation Wizard. Telephone numbers for Activation Centers vary by product license and country/region. Use the number provided on your Activation Wizard screen to call the Microsoft Activation Center.  Please follow the below guidance for telephone activation for activating Windows. 

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

More information on how to activate Windows XP at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Also you may reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

After you finish the above steps please restart the computer and try to validate Windows again: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine. Please locate the “Validate Windows” button in the upper right hand corner. Double click on the button and follow the guidance. Were you able to pass Windows Validation successfully? Please post again if you need further assistance. Thank you.

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Volunteer

Monday, March 31, 2008 1:53 AM
  •  Stephen Holm wrote:

In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. I do suggest trying to activate using the “Activate by Phone” method from the activation Wizard. Telephone numbers for Activation Centers vary by product license and country/region. Use the number provided on your Activation Wizard screen to call the Microsoft Activation Center.  Please follow the below guidance for telephone activation for activating Windows. 

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

More information on how to activate Windows XP at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Also you may reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

After you finish the above steps please restart the computer and try to validate Windows again: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine. Please locate the “Validate Windows” button in the upper right hand corner. Double click on the button and follow the guidance. Were you able to pass Windows Validation successfully? Please post again if you need further assistance. Thank you.

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Volunteer

Thanks for the response Stephen,

I am unable to see any wording or options in the activation menu.  When I click to bring up the activation window, that's all I get and unable to proceed.  Just like starring at a blank screen.

Monday, March 31, 2008 2:32 AM
  • Please open the following link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851 . You will find an actual number to call for activating your windows.  Also you can you provide answers to the questions I posted earlier?  Thank you :-)

Stephen Holm

WGA Forum Volunteer 

Monday, March 31, 2008 3:07 AM
  • Here are the answers to the questions requested:

1. Windows XP Pro.

2. It reads OEM Product

3. The comptuer manufactor is Dell.

Dell keeps giving me loops and I get nowhere with their tech support service.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 1:28 AM
  • Do you have the Dell recovery software issued with the system @ the time of purchase?  Also did you open the link I provided in both of my posts and look @ the site and locate the number to Call Microsoft in order to telephone activate your windows?

stephen Holm

WGA forum volunteer

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 1:34 AM