Whiist - I've goofed it up. (aka: How do I upgrade?) RRS feed

• Question

• Okay, I think I've royally goofed up my Whiist install.

I started with version 0.5 and it was working like a champ (nice work by the way).  When v 0.5.5 came out I downloaded it and copied it to my Addons folder, overwriting v 0.5 and then I installed it.  I ended up with both versions showing as being installed.  When I ran the wizard it was the one from v 0.5.  So, I then uninstalled 0.5 but got an error message after restarting the console (like a dummy I didn't copy the error).  I reinstalled 0.5 and then removed it (I thought that when I removed it the first time I was trying to uninstall using the 0.5.5 msi.

To make a long story short, I've managed to get Whiist uninstalled.  I no longer have the Websites tab in the console, but it still shows 0.5.5 installed in the list of addons.  I try to uninstall it and it just throws the error "Uninstall failed".

My web sites work still, and with RC1 coming sometime this week I'm going to have to rebuild anyway.  I just wanted to make sure I have the upgrade process sorted out for next time. 

New versions of Whiist do not upgrade existing installs, so the proper process would be to remove the exiting version and then install the new one?

Thanks

Mike

Monday, June 11, 2007 7:16 PM

All replies

•  

I uninstalled Whiist 0.5 1st then I check to make sure it is uninstalled then copy the new upgrade 0.5.5  to the addin then installed work great. I would say that for right now it best to uninstalled not install over.

Monday, June 11, 2007 8:12 PM
  • Weird!

Three suggestions;

1) Install Whiist again, uninstall and then reinstall

2) Log onto your WHS via regular Remote Desktop and use Control Panel->Add/Remove programs to try and uninstall

3) Install Whiist on your normal computer (files will be placed in Program Files\Windows Home Server) then log onto your WHS via Remote Desktop and copy the files into Program Files\Windows Home Server.
    Monday, June 11, 2007 8:33 PM
  • Actually I've been thinking about this and I think the problem was that I reauthored my installer which resulted in new GUID's and probably lead to WHS's confusion.

Sorry about that Sad
    Monday, June 11, 2007 10:25 PM