Disabling F4 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to make a locked down kiosk type computer using steadystate.  My problem is that I would like to disable alt f4 in IE so no one can close the window.

I did numerous searches and also had some instructions sent to me on editing the registry.  I'm not sure which version of windows the directions are for but there are no keys that even come close to matching the keys I am trying to modify.

here is the procedure

You can lock down these subversive key combinations using restrictions in the Registry. Launch RegEdit from the Start menu's Run dialog; navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\

Policies\Microsoft Internet Explorer\Restrictions; and find or create each of the following DWORD values, setting its data to 1 to enable the restriction:

NoBrowserClose (disables closing the browser window)

NoBrowserContextMenu (disables right-click context menu)

NoFileOpen (disables use of Ctrl-O or Ctrl-L to launch an arbitrary URL)

NoOpenInNewWnd (disables opening a link in a new window via Ctrl-N or Shift-click)

thanks

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 9:54 PM

Answers

• I'm replying to my own thread because I think I have the answer.  You have to create the keys even if you have to create the folders to put them in.
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Wednesday, December 30, 2009 4:03 AM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 1:51 PM

All replies

• I'm replying to my own thread because I think I have the answer.  You have to create the keys even if you have to create the folders to put them in.
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Wednesday, December 30, 2009 4:03 AM
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 1:51 PM
  • Yes, Windows SteadyState does not include the function to disable "F4". Thank you for sharing this with us.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 6:14 AM