General Certification Advice RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Presently I am working in an entry level position at a datacenter.  I have two CompTIA Certifications as well as a MCP.  I've been repairing computers since High School.  I'm interested in obtaining more training, and the certification I was looking at was MCITP:  Systems Administrator.  With your best judgement, I have some questions about going this route...

Do you think this is a realistic goal?  Should I invest my energies in another certification?

I'm pretty interested in becoming a Windows Admin one day.  Or..I was thinking of maybe contracting my skills elsewhere while working where I work presently.  I enjoy computers, so I think it would be fun.  So I'm kinda hoping this is a realisitc goal.

For people who are certified MCITP:  Systems Administrator, what advice would you give me if you were in my situation?  I'm living on my own, I got bills, so I need to find my own training materials as cheap as possible.  What training materials would you recommend?

Any kind of advice or more information is greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

Brengle

Friday, July 16, 2010 8:52 AM

Answers

• First, I'd suggest you consider the Enterprise Administrator over Server Administrator designation.  It's only two additional exams, and has more bang for the buck.  As to what to use to study, if you have a desktop/laptop that can handle either Virtual PC 2007 (running under XP Pro or Vista Business/Ultimate) or  Virtual PC (under Windows 7 Professional/Ultimate), use that as your "lab" environment and run Server 2008 under that (you can use it "free" for six months - more than enough time to study).  Book wise, either MS Press or Sybex.  You might also want to look at CBT Nuggets, Trainsignal or TestOut videos to supplement your studies.

I'd suggest starting with Active Directory - it's the hardest exam and will give you a head start over others, as people that know/understand AD are in demand.

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Sunday, July 25, 2010 4:11 AM
    Friday, July 16, 2010 1:25 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• First, I'd suggest you consider the Enterprise Administrator over Server Administrator designation.  It's only two additional exams, and has more bang for the buck.  As to what to use to study, if you have a desktop/laptop that can handle either Virtual PC 2007 (running under XP Pro or Vista Business/Ultimate) or  Virtual PC (under Windows 7 Professional/Ultimate), use that as your "lab" environment and run Server 2008 under that (you can use it "free" for six months - more than enough time to study).  Book wise, either MS Press or Sybex.  You might also want to look at CBT Nuggets, Trainsignal or TestOut videos to supplement your studies.

I'd suggest starting with Active Directory - it's the hardest exam and will give you a head start over others, as people that know/understand AD are in demand.

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Sunday, July 25, 2010 4:11 AM
    Friday, July 16, 2010 1:25 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the advice!  I do know of Virtualization, however I have an old blade server sitting at home.  I'm thinking about putting Windows 2008 R2 on it, simply because I got a license with the Dreamweaver program.  I think that is what it was called.

Appreciate it.

Friday, July 16, 2010 8:06 PM