WLOC "not responding" RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed WLOC and it's not working, sort of.  It seems the service in the background is working, i.e., this morning when I got up it gave me a report that certain things had run overnight (e.g. defragment) and other things needed my attention (e.g., backup of data).  But the "application" doesn't work.  When I open WLOC from the task bar icon, I get a WLOC status bar window with the walking green boxes and the WLOC window opens.  But the WLOC window with the boxes eventually goes away, and NOTHING works from the application window.  I just get the hourglass.  The task manager shows both windows go to "not responding."

I have rebooted, uninstalled, and reinstalled.  During the initial install something warned about Symantec products.  I had Norton Partition Magic and Norton Ghost on the PC, but I uninstalled them and reinstalled WLOC.  Everything appeared to work fine the second time.

Note:  FWIW, I have tried WLOC in the past (beta 2) and had the same problem and gave up and uninstalled.  But I just went with Qwest for DSL and they provide it as part of the package, so I would like to get this working.

Also, FWIW, I had Kaspersky Internet Security (V6) on the PC before my initial try of WLOC.  I fully uninstalled it before installing WLOC.

Any help would be appreciated!

Monday, November 19, 2007 2:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Whiten

You should get in touch with support for both Symantec and Kaspersky to get there removel tool to be sure they have been cleaned out. And then reinstall OneCare, if that does not work then I would get in touch with support for OneCare through here http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 - use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support

chuck

Monday, November 19, 2007 7:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Whiten

You should get in touch with support for both Symantec and Kaspersky to get there removel tool to be sure they have been cleaned out. And then reinstall OneCare, if that does not work then I would get in touch with support for OneCare through here http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 - use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support

chuck

Monday, November 19, 2007 7:13 PM
  • Okay, so I:

1) Uninstalled WLOC
    2) Went to both Symantec and Kaspersky and got their removal tools.  I followed their removal instructions (including reboots).
    3) I reinstalled WLOC.  Rebooted...

...and still the same thing.

I followed your instructions to "Get More Help" and so I've submitted a service ticket.

Thanks for the help (even though it didn't fix it, I do appreciate your response)!

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 3:53 AM
  • Please keep us posted on the response from support. I've seen at least one other report of this in the forums, so I'm anxious to find out the cause.

-steve

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 8:12 PM
  • Hrm. It's more common that "one other report," I suspect.

I have WLOC on 3 computers, per license. On two of them, it functions fine. Never, ever had a problem. On the third computer, which is virtually identical to the others, I have had to completely uninstall and reinstall three times now.

The symptom is always the same. The program fails to update itself, and when you open WLOC to remedy this, it locks up. Just the hourglass. No matter what. You can stop it, delete the databases, pray to the voodoo gods - it does not matter.The ONLY way it can be fixed is to completely uninstall and reinstall.

Then you have another couple months, and it happens again.

On CERTAIN computers, for UNKNOWN reasons, Windows Live OneCare stuffs up. Period.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 5:48 PM
  • Typically, Mark, what you are describing sounds like either corruption of the internal OneCare databases or something conflicting with OneCare. You certainly shouldn't need to reinstall every few months. It may be worth contacting support the next time it happens to you.

-steve

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 7:27 PM
  • I have just about the same problem. The thing is, that when I used their 90 day free trial, everything worked beautifully. Today I paid for the program for another year and when I start my computer the WLOC icon on the task bar says the status is good. Then after a few minutes, it turns red and says I need to turn on the firewall. But when I go to do this, everything locks up and I can't do anything. This never happened during the trial period.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 7:42 PM
  •  mcastka wrote:

I have just about the same problem. The thing is, that when I used their 90 day free trial, everything worked beautifully. Today I paid for the program for another year and when I start my computer the WLOC icon on the task bar says the status is good. Then after a few minutes, it turns red and says I need to turn on the firewall. But when I go to do this, everything locks up and I can't do anything. This never happened during the trial period.

maryann, please contact support to get help with this problem.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 7:48 PM