Windows 7 activation with Acer COA RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Acer Aspire 5810TZG laptop. Some months ago I wiped the hard drive (incl. recovery partition). Now I want to install Windows 7 back. If I use my family member Upgrade Disk, enter COA which is under my laptop and activate by phone, is it legal? I can't make recovery disks because I haven't got Windows installed now. But if I make recovery disks from other computer, can I use them legally in my computer?
    • Changed type BlueDeath Thursday, December 23, 2010 9:14 AM abc
    • Changed type BlueDeath Thursday, December 23, 2010 9:14 AM
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 4:19 PM

Answers

• "BlueDeath" wrote in message news:f38396ba-c134-4f99-b27f-398254c7b7a2...
    OK, thanks for the info. I don't want to do anything illegal, so I don't do it. BTW, if it's illegal or something to talk about this thing there, someone of staff can delete that.

Nah - it's OK.
    Seriously, though, your best bet is to borrow a Retail DVD (or an OEM System Builder DVD) for the right version of Win 7 from someone and make your own copy of that (this ensures that you know what's been done!) - you can then install Win 7 using the product key from your COA. Both disks are hologrammed for security purposes. This is perfectly legal.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 28, 2010 11:01 PM
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 10:26 AM

All replies

• You can use retail or OEM disk, upgrade or full version. Yes it would be a legal install as long as the COA key is from the sticker located on your computer. By your statement I understand that you want to borrow the retail upgrade disk from a family member to install windows using your COA key and activate by phone, this should work as long as you are not using an OEM restoration disk from another computer.
    • Marked as answer by BlueDeath Saturday, November 27, 2010 4:41 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by BlueDeath Wednesday, December 8, 2010 12:42 PM
    Saturday, November 27, 2010 4:39 PM
  • Then it is an OEM disk, probably a system builder. The media is the same for full version or upgrade. It may be preconfigured for another manufacturer and therefore may not work.

Saturday, November 27, 2010 4:49 PM
  • Upgrade Disk is Acer, so I assume that the Upgrade Disk is compatible with my Acer laptop too.
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 8:29 AM
  • "BlueDeath" wrote in message news:9a61299c-9cbe-49c2-85f0-9ec841e5eda8...
    Upgrade Disk is Acer, so I assume that the Upgrade Disk is compatible with my Acer laptop too.

Not necessarily true - and certainly there will be differences in the driver availability.

--

Sunday, November 28, 2010 9:06 AM
  • BTW, can someone of Microsoft staff confirm that it's legal? So, my family member has got a Acer Upgrade Disk, so is it legal to use it DVD to install Windows back with my laptop COA? I asked it from the Acer customer service and they said that the recovery disks costs about 50 USD from they and I wont pay so much, so is it legal to install from the DVD?
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 12:34 PM
  • "BlueDeath" wrote in message news:21f89545-e64a-42de-940b-79d6c04dfcca...
    BTW, can someone of Microsoft staff confirm that it's legal? So, my family member has got a Acer Upgrade Disk, so is it legal to use it DVD to install Windows back with my laptop COA? I asked it from the Acer customer service and they said that the recovery disks costs about 50 USD from they and I wont pay so much, so is it legal to install from the DVD?

Not MS - but you won't get a legal opinion for MS in a forum anyhow.
    Technically, it's not legal - but no-one is likely to come hammering on your door.

--

• Marked as answer by BlueDeath Wednesday, December 8, 2010 1:29 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by BlueDeath Thursday, December 23, 2010 9:12 AM
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 12:46 PM
  • "BlueDeath" wrote in message news:f38396ba-c134-4f99-b27f-398254c7b7a2...
    OK, thanks for the info. I don't want to do anything illegal, so I don't do it. BTW, if it's illegal or something to talk about this thing there, someone of staff can delete that.

Nah - it's OK.
    Seriously, though, your best bet is to borrow a Retail DVD (or an OEM System Builder DVD) for the right version of Win 7 from someone and make your own copy of that (this ensures that you know what's been done!) - you can then install Win 7 using the product key from your COA. Both disks are hologrammed for security purposes. This is perfectly legal.

--

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 28, 2010 11:01 PM
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 10:26 AM
  • OK, thanks for the info. I don't want to do anything illegal, so I don't do it. BTW, if it's illegal or something to talk about this thing there, someone of staff can delete that.
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 5:41 PM
  • The issue is, when is something said binding on the company?  Not here.  By Microsoft Legal Dept.
    Colin Barnhorst
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 6:45 PM
    Answerer
  • I'm sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, but I still don't understand that is installing from Upgrade Disk with COA illegal. Can someone confirm that. Maybe I just missed some thing(s), sorry.
    Monday, March 7, 2011 3:22 PM
  • Hello BlueDeath,

Save yourself some aggravation and just contact Acer customer support or tech support and order a set of recovery discs for your computer.  Simplest and IMO best choice :-)

Start here:  https://secure.tx.acer.com/RCDB/Main.aspx?brand=acer

Monday, March 7, 2011 4:28 PM
  • Hello Dan,

Yes, I've already contacted Acer and they said recovery discs cost about 50 USD. The problem is, that I don't wan't to pay so much.

Monday, March 7, 2011 4:33 PM
  • Check Recovery-Disks.com for a better deal.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Monday, March 7, 2011 4:35 PM
    Answerer
  • Actually, I've already installed Windows 7 with Upgrade Disc and COA when I wiped the hard drive before. I'm now asking that is it legal. I tried to install Windows 7 again from Upgrade Disc, but when I type Product Key, it says invalid key. When I installed Windows before from Upgrade Disc, it succesfully actvated with phone activation.

It doesn't accept key even if I connect the computer to internet.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 11:38 AM
  • You can't use just an upgrade disk.  An upgrade disk requires another copy of Windows already on the hard drive.  You have to be upgrading something.  Just get the right Acer recovery disks.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 2:46 PM
    Answerer