Can't open backup detail RRS feed

• Question

•  I have 8 clients at home and auto backup works well. However I found recently that I can't open the detail of one drive from one client. Backups for all other clients can be opened without problem.

The problem client has one HDD seperated to two drives. One is 34.53G (call it C drive) as system drive and the other is 53.76G as data drive (call ir D srive). WindowsXP is used for this client. I can open the detail of backup for C drive no problem. However when I tried to open D drive detail of latest backup, 'Opening Backup' windows stalls at 81% for awhile and then following error message is displayed.

"Cannot connect to the backup service on the server. Verify that all services are running."

I am pretty much sure that all services are running on the server because immediately after I clear the error message I can still open other backups.

This makes me wonder whether the client is backuped correctly. By the way, the latest 'good' backup of this client was Jan. 4th of 2009.

Any suggestions on how to solve this?

Friday, January 23, 2009 11:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• Steps I would suggest:

1. Try manual backup for this client. If it succeeds try opening this backup for both partitions.
    2. If the backup fails or if you can't open the backup please run chkdsk /f /r on both partitions of the client
      1. Open command prompt
      2. Then for checking D partition type chkdsk /f /r D: and hit Enter.
      3. When finished repeat for C partition, this one will be scheduled for next reboot.
      4. Please note chkdsk may take a significant amount of time. Allow to finish!
    3. Now try again to run a backup and open it. If it fails again:
    4. If you do not need any of the files in the backup for this machine:
      1. Remove the machine using the Windows Home Server Console
      2. Uninstall the client (Connector) software
      3. Reboot both machines, then install connector software again from http://yourservername:55000
    5. Now try again to run a backup and open it
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 3:19 AM
  • Hi, brubber,

I followed steps you suggested from 1 to 5. However the symptom doesn't change. I can't open the back up of D partition. It stalls at 81% and then error message is displayed. 

Sunday, January 25, 2009 2:20 AM
  •  Can you please report what happened at each step? Were you able to run a manual backup at steps 1 / 3 / 5? Did chkdsk for D partition report any errors fixed?

[EDIT] One thing I didn't think about is the Repair function for the backup database, I assumed you already tried this one. (Home Server Console, Settings, Backup). If you haven't already done this please try the Repair function first.

Another thing you can try is to:

1. Repeat steps 4.1 and 4.2,
    2. From the WHS console, Settings menu, Backup run Backup Cleanup. This should take more then a few minutes! If it doesn't there is most likely corruption in your backup database, in that case please proceed to step 5
    3. Uninstall the client Connector software, reboot, reinstall the client Connector software
    4. Now try again to run a backup and open it.
    5. If it fails again there is probably some corruption in your backup database. The only supported way out is Delete the backup database (WHS console, Settings Menu, Backup). This will delete all backups, so if you need any files from backups from other clients please save them before doing this. Alternatively you can use the WHS BDBB (Backup Database Backup) Add-in to create a copy of your backup database, allowing you can to restore your current backup database if you want to.
    6. After deleting all backups you will have to run backups again for all clients. I would advise you to start with the problematic client, and after each client is backed up check if all backups can still be opened.   
    • Edited by brubberModerator Sunday, January 25, 2009 11:36 AM added note about repair function
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 10:05 AM
  • brubber said:

Steps I would suggest:

1. Try manual backup for this client. If it succeeds try opening this backup for both partitions.
    2. If the backup fails or if you can't open the backup please run chkdsk /f /r on both partitions of the client
      1. Open command prompt
      2. Then for checking D partition type chkdsk /f /r D: and hit Enter.
      3. When finished repeat for C partition, this one will be scheduled for next reboot.
      4. Please note chkdsk may take a significant amount of time. Allow to finish!
    3. Now try again to run a backup and open it. If it fails again:
    4. If you do not need any of the files in the backup for this machine:
      1. Remove the machine using the Windows Home Server Console
      2. Uninstall the client (Connector) software
      3. Reboot both machines, then install connector software again from http://yourservername:55000
    5. Now try again to run a backup and open it

Step1: Behaves the same

Step2: chkdsk for both partition C and D completed without any error found on the partition.

Step3: Behaves the same

Step4: Did all

Step5: Behaves the same

By the way, lasy night I found that backup of another laptop (Vista Ultimate) can't be opened either. So I checked all backup of clients. The result is that two laptops have the problem. 5 desktops and one laptop don't have the problem.

Sunday, January 25, 2009 2:38 PM
  • Can you please submit a bug report on Connect? Include logs collected using the Windows Home Server toolkit from your server and the client that's displaying this issue.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 3:07 PM
  • OK, I will do that.
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 4:25 PM
  • brubber said:

Can you please report what happened at each step? Were you able to run a manual backup at steps 1 / 3 / 5? Did chkdsk for D partition report any errors fixed?

[EDIT] One thing I didn't think about is the Repair function for the backup database, I assumed you already tried this one. (Home Server Console, Settings, Backup). If you haven't already done this please try the Repair function first.

Another thing you can try is to:

1. Repeat steps 4.1 and 4.2,
    2. From the WHS console, Settings menu, Backup run Backup Cleanup. This should take more then a few minutes! If it doesn't there is most likely corruption in your backup database, in that case please proceed to step 5
    3. Uninstall the client Connector software, reboot, reinstall the client Connector software
    4. Now try again to run a backup and open it.
    5. If it fails again there is probably some corruption in your backup database. The only supported way out is Delete the backup database (WHS console, Settings Menu, Backup). This will delete all backups, so if you need any files from backups from other clients please save them before doing this. Alternatively you can use the WHS BDBB (Backup Database Backup) Add-in to create a copy of your backup database, allowing you can to restore your current backup database if you want to.
    6. After deleting all backups you will have to run backups again for all clients. I would advise you to start with the problematic client, and after each client is backed up check if all backups can still be opened.   

I don't see option for delete the backup database anywhere when I open WHS console ->Settings->Backup.  All I can see is 'Repair...' and 'Cleanup now'. BY the way, I did all deleting the backup database. The behavor has not changed.
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 4:27 PM
  • I see that bug report ID 390003 describes the same issue in which that the restore process stalls at 81%. I will update it with my CAB file.
    • Edited by Dcdyd Sunday, January 25, 2009 6:54 PM
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 5:01 PM
  •  Connector troubleshooter reports that 'The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server'. I then followed the instruction to ninstall the WHS connector from the client and then reinstall the Connector from the Home Server. However after the installation, connector troubleshooter still reports the same issue.

I wonder whether thisis related with the issue which happens when trying to open the backup database. ANy suggestio nto fix this?

Sunday, January 25, 2009 6:10 PM
  • Dcdyd said:

I see that bug report ID 390003 describes the same issue in which that the restore process stalls at 81%. I will update it with my CAB file.

You cannot add CABs to someone else's bug reports and Connect does not parse anything added in the Community discussion section into bug reports submitted by another tester. Please file a new bug report if you want your CABs reviewed.

Thank you

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 11:27 PM
  • Dcdyd said:

Connector troubleshooter reports that 'The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server'. I then followed the instruction to ninstall the WHS connector from the client and then reinstall the Connector from the Home Server. However after the installation, connector troubleshooter still reports the same issue.

I wonder whether thisis related with the issue which happens when trying to open the backup database. ANy suggestio nto fix this?

This is a known issue and is not related.

Thank you

Windows Home Server
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 11:28 PM
  • Lara Jones said:
    You cannot add CABs to someone else's bug reports and Connect does not parse anything added in the Community discussion section into bug reports submitted by another tester. Please file a new bug report if you want your CABs reviewed.

Thank you

I thought that if there is bug report which described exact the same issue as I am experiencing, it makes more sense to add comments to that bug report instead of submitting a new one. Should I submit a new bug report? 
    Monday, January 26, 2009 12:20 AM
  • You should submit a new bug report. Microsoft can group bug reports in their internal tracking tools, and if your issue is the same as the other one you mention, they will undoubtedly do so. But you need to submit your report separately.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 26, 2009 12:23 AM
  • Dcdyd said:

Lara Jones said:

Thank you

I thought that if there is bug report which described exact the same issue as I am experiencing, it makes more sense to add comments to that bug report instead of submitting a new one. Should I submit a new bug report? 

The problem with attempting to add diagnostics to someone else's bug report is that we cannot communicate with you and we cannot work with you out of someone else's bug report as the report does not belong to you.

In addition, the logs for the original bug might point to one fix while your logs might point to another.  This may lead to a case where the original submitter's bug is resolved as fixed or not repro but your issue is not fixed.  Also, if for some reason the bug is marked as private, you lose access to that bug.

Plus, we often post workarounds and/or add items to the bugs and you will not have access to them as you are not the bug owner.

If you wish to interact with the team directly, you will need your own bug report.

And, Connect will not let you edit someone else's bug so you cannot add the CABs to the appropriate area in the bug which means they will not show up in our database. That was what I meant by "you cannot add CABs to someone else's bug report"

Thank you

Windows Home Server
    Monday, January 26, 2009 4:21 AM
  • I upgraded to PP2 and this is resolved.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 12:04 AM