Drive Recommendations? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm currently using 1 and 2-TB Western Digital "Green" EADS drives.

Went that route bc, being pretty much ignorant of anything else, the idea of saving a little electric appealed to me.

Only complaint I have is that for most of them Disk Management | Details returns "Unknown" for the Serial Number.   I don't even know whether that is WD Green-specific or something with Disk Management.

Other than that, no complaints, but I am about to replace a couple of the 1-TB drives with 2-TB drives and would like to hear from somebody who knows something about tradeoffs, various brands, various types of drives, and so-forth.

• Changed type kariya21Moderator Friday, September 3, 2010 3:55 AM not a technical question
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 5:06 PM

All replies

• Besides avoiding the EARS disks, any disks you choose should work fine. I personally just go for the best price/GB. That seems to be 1.5 TB at the moment.

Personally never had issues with the Samsungs. They are a great value and still perform well.
    Everyone I'm sure has their personal anecdotes for brands. Take them with a grain of salt

Thursday, September 2, 2010 6:25 PM
  • For the data drives I have been using exclusively WD Green disks (750G,1T,2T). No problems and I am quite happy with them.
    They keep relatively cool, quiet and are fast enough.
    *Avoid* using the EARS type WD greens for WHSv1: they are not supported.

Btw: For the system disks I personally prefer "normal" drives (like the WD Caviar) mostly for performance reasons.
    As an alternative you could go for WD "AV" disks. I have one 1T in my production server. These disk are especially designed for use with 24x7-on systems like PVR devices. But these drive may be difficult to aquire and more costly. 

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Friday, September 3, 2010 10:15 PM
  • *Avoid* using the EARS type WD greens for WHSv1: they are not supported.

- Theo. 

EARS don't work for a system drive, but, no issues for the storage pool IF you use a jumper pin.
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 12:21 AM
  • EARS don't work for a system drive, but, no issues for the storage pool IF you use a jumper pin.

Even with the jumper pin WD EARS drives are not supported for WHSv1.
    Per KB2385637 ("Information regarding Windows Home Server and advanced format hard disks"):

Scenario A: Server Disk

You install or replace your disk in your Home Server as a system disk or storage pool with an Advanced Format sector disk.

You will experience performance degradation when using Advanced Format disk in your Home Server v1 for Server Backup, Storage Pool, or System Disk because the disks are formatted and aligned in a way Windows Home Server is not compatible with.

Recommendation Windows Home Server v1: Do not use Advanced Format disks in your Windows Home Server v1.

- Theo.

Saturday, September 4, 2010 12:50 PM
  • My understanding is that most currently shipping disks (and all newly introduced disks) are Advanced Format disks "under the hood". However, they hide the sector size and present 512 byte sectors to the world.

The jumper actually does fix this, Theo, as would WDAlign. But, since at present the only vendor shipping Advanced Format disks that actually expose 4k sectors is Western Digital, buy a disk from any other manufacturer, or from any WD line that doesn't expose the sector size. If 4k sectors aren't exposed, the 512 byte virtual sectors which are exposed will be properly aligned.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 2:05 PM