Is my Windows 7 product ID blocked for being MSDN? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed a retail packaged, new unopened package Windows 7 Pro on a new computer. No problems in installation, everything is running fine, but about once a day I keep getting the message, "The product ID you typed is blocked from use by Microsoft". I ran the Genuine Advantage validation and it passed. My product ID is: 00371-221-7543252-86075. Am I in trouble with this? Is it a bad copy and what will happen if I continue to use it? I did buy it from an eBay Buy it Now seller with 100% ratings. Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 2:28 AM

Answers

All replies

•  00371-221-7543252-86075

The product ID -221- Indicates a not for resale MSDN account. If you are not the account holder and you purchased this in a retail box, the box and it's contents are counterfeit. Demand an immediate refund from the seller

For more information see this:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/a2444f34-0aff-4f29-a8ac-67e28b0c0285

and this:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/06698c46-8668-4ccd-a544-a88969265a6b

To see how good these counterfeits are becoming, see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzqNNiOM0cs

You will have to purchase a legitimate windows from a legitimate retailer.

Saturday, July 9, 2011 2:49 AM
    Answerer
  • Yes you are.  As George explained, you have been sold a counterfeit copy of Windows.  You need to restore the previous copy of Windows or purchase a full licensed copy of Windows 7 Ultimate and use the product key to replace the MSDN product key you have now.  You can do this with the Change Product Key link on the System Properties page. 

The reason the seller has a 100% rating is because he is only just now about to get caught.  These sellers are careful to build a rating before offering the counterfeit stuff.  Since the product activates and validates fine when first installed the buyers promptly give five-star ratings.  After all, eBay encourages both buyers and sellers to give prompt feedback.

It is only weeks or months later that Microsoft discovers that the key is being used by persons to whom the key was not issued.  Then MS blocks the key and the seller's house of cards begins to fall.  At that point the seller does a dump and run and no one cares anymore what kind of rating he built up.

Keep in mind that the product key is genuine, but it is only valid for the subscriber who requested it.  That's how it works with MSDN and TechNet keys.  Therefore, until MS blocks it the key will activate and pass genuine Windows validation.  But it won't last.

These counterfeit packages are being manufactured in China using product key obtained from MSDN subscriptions purchased with credit card fraud.  It is a complex scam in which individual resellers are offered discount procudt and told how to handle "complaints".

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 7:10 PM
    Answerer