none
TFS2010 to TFS2017 Migration headaches RRS feed

• Question

• My small team has been using a TFS2010 server.  We just built a TFS2017 server and are trying to move our projects/solutions to the new server and organize them more appropriately.  We have a number of Legacy apps written in VS2010 that VS2015 and VS2017 can't import, but that we need to keep for a while. I read several posts that said you can't upgrade from 2010 to 2017 as the database structure is different.  I've also failed to successfully create a "new" project collection on TFS2017 and add my 2010 source code to it. I've been at this for about a week and can't seem to get those older projects on to the new server.

Does anyone know how to get TFS2010/VS2010 legacy apps migrated to TFS2017?

PS.

I read that you could migrate 2010 to 2013 and then migrate to 2017, but I don't have another machine to install this on.  I can't shut down the 2010 server or do an in place upgrade as my team uses it every day and can't afford the interruption. 

Friday, February 16, 2018 11:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Narnian,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

This forum is for Visual Studio IDE issues, and according to your description, your issue is related to TFS Migration. Since the TFS forums have been locked, the discussion for TFS has moved. I recommend you could post your issue on Stack Overflow or Developer Community, where the MS support engineers for TFS will assist you with it.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Judyzh

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Judy ZhuY Tuesday, February 20, 2018 4:58 AM
    Monday, February 19, 2018 3:47 AM