none
Does the server always need to be on to use a computer usually connected to the server? RRS feed

• Question

• We have no spare computers except a laptop which is rarely, but occasionally used outside of our network! Can i use that as a server? Will the computers normally connected still work?
    Monday, May 25, 2009 11:36 AM

Answers

• We have no spare computers except a laptop which is rarely, but occasionally used outside of our network! Can i use that as a server?

Using a laptop to host WHS is unsupported.  Having said that, it should still work (although you might need to change the Power Management features).

Will the computers normally connected still work?
    Yes, the clients will still work.  However, obviously they won't be able to connect to the server to access files stored there and the clients will not get backed up automatically.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Monday, May 25, 2009 12:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nelsnet Monday, May 25, 2009 12:43 PM
    Monday, May 25, 2009 12:30 PM

All replies

• We have no spare computers except a laptop which is rarely, but occasionally used outside of our network! Can i use that as a server?

Using a laptop to host WHS is unsupported.  Having said that, it should still work (although you might need to change the Power Management features).

Will the computers normally connected still work?
    Yes, the clients will still work.  However, obviously they won't be able to connect to the server to access files stored there and the clients will not get backed up automatically.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Monday, May 25, 2009 12:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nelsnet Monday, May 25, 2009 12:43 PM
    Monday, May 25, 2009 12:30 PM
  • Using a laptop as the hardware for Windows Home Server isn't recommended. Laptops are designed to be portable; they have a lot of trade-offs as a result. The biggest one from a server perspective is that a server OS will put a great deal of stress on laptop components, especially heat stress. You run the risk of heat-related instability and reliability issues.

In addition, it's pretty obvious that you intend to be able to take your laptop off-site and use it as a laptop. Windows Home Server is not designed to be used as a desktop (or laptop) operating system. So it wouldn't be recommended from that standpoint either.

If you have no spare computers, you might want to consider a server from an OEM such as HP or Acer; you will get a hardware/software solution that's well-thought out at a reasonable price.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, May 25, 2009 1:55 PM