Can I still download VB 6.0? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a large old program that I wish to maintain in VB 6.0.  My problem is that I need to move it to a new computer, and I do not have the original VB 6.0 exe download file.

I could not find a VB 6.0 download, but I did find "Service Pack 6 for Visual Basic 6.0".  I do not know whether this is the complete VB 6.0 program, or if it is only an upgrade which assumes that VB 6.0 is already installed.

I would appreciate it very much if anyone can give me an answer.
    MelvinMelvin
    Monday, January 12, 2009 3:11 AM

Answers

• I dont think Visual Basic 6.0 version is still available.

You might want to think in this line.. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/default.aspx
    • Marked as answer by MelvinMelvin Friday, January 16, 2009 8:57 PM
    Monday, January 12, 2009 4:16 AM
  • You should be able to purchase VB6.0 on EBay.
    • Marked as answer by Riquel_Dong Friday, January 16, 2009 2:49 AM
    Monday, January 12, 2009 5:23 AM
  • It would take less time to load your VB6 program in VBE 2008 and convert it than it would to wait for delivery of VB6.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 6:51 PM
  • Although this isn't really the place to discuss VB6, I'm going to anyway :)

VB6 never was free. As time goes by, you'll find it more and more difficult to obtain a legal copy of VB6 (licensing and legitimacy don't expire just because the product is no longer made). As is becoming more and more prevalent with eBay and software, ensure you are buying original disks and the original key. Also, you may want to look for older visual studio editions (Visual Studio 6), or older versions plus an upgrade (e.g. VB5 or VB4 plus a VB6 upgrade).

It'll take some time, probably, to find something at a reasonable price. I personally found a copy of VS6 Enterprise for a couple of hundred dollars a few years ago.

You may have mixed luck opening the VB6 project in VB2005/8, as John mentioned, there's no harm in trying (after you have it backed up).

Stephen J Whiteley
    Monday, January 12, 2009 9:03 PM
  • "You may have mixed luck opening the VB6 project in VB2005/8, as John mentioned, there's no harm in trying (after you have it backed up)."

Yeh!  It'll seem impossible when you first load it.  If you can get past the initial shock and actually start correcting the errors, you'll find that changing one thing will ofttimes eliminate a large number of errors.  If you stick with it, you'll have the program updated in a few days and it'll be a better program.

Monday, January 12, 2009 10:17 PM
  • JWolf011 said:

It's been over a year since I have owned an MSDN subscription but you used to be able to download VB6 if you owned a subscription. Is this still true?

Jeremy Western MCPD Windows – GeneralSoft Inc. www.generalsoft.com - jwestern at generalsoft dot com Please make sure to mark answers as helpful when used and answered when completed.

Yes, Visual Basic 6.0 is still available if you have an MSDN subscription. Otherwise, it's pretty much a crapshoot finding a copy and if you find someone selling a legitimate licensed copy they usually want an arm and two legs for it.

If you find any copies, make certain it's the version you need. The Learning Edition cannot compile to an executable so is practically useless. You may be able to use the Standard Edition but if you're using any advanced features the Professional version may be required.

Either way you may have to bite the bullet, which means either taking your chances with the Upgrade Wizard in Visual Basic 2008 or pay the going rate for Visual Basic 6.0. I'd recommend the former but then I don't know how many changes would be required in order to make your app functional. I would seriously considering giving that option at least a shot first.
    Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 3:03 AM
  • another option although a ____ shoot is garage sales.  my uncle picked up visual studio (2003 i believe) for about 10 bucks.  but he frequents garage sales.  anyway just a thought.  might get lucky.

Jeff - www.srsoft.us
    FREE DEVELOPER TOOLS, CODE & PROJECTS at www.srsoft.us
    • Marked as answer by MelvinMelvin Friday, January 16, 2009 8:58 PM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:14 PM

All replies

• I dont think Visual Basic 6.0 version is still available.

You might want to think in this line.. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbrun/default.aspx
    Monday, January 12, 2009 4:16 AM
  • You should be able to purchase VB6.0 on EBay.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 5:23 AM
  •  Your link shows a way to extend my VB 6.0 program using new VB 2005 features.  This could potentially allow me to avoid a major upgrade.  It looks very promising.

However, this is not a solution to my immediate problem of needing to install VB 6.0 on my new computer.  Another responder suggested that I look for the program on Ebay, and I will check on that.

Thank you very much for your suggestion.
    MelvinMelvin
    • Unmarked as answer by MelvinMelvin Friday, January 16, 2009 8:58 PM
    Monday, January 12, 2009 5:45 PM
  • I went to EBay and did find a number of listings for VB 6.0.  They are much pricier than I would have expected, but I will see if I could pick up a bargain.

Also, your reply made me realize that VB 6.0 was actually sold by Microsoft in a box.  I have been downloading VB 2005 and VB 2008 Express Editions for free, and forgot that 6.0 was not a free download.  Thanks for the reminder.

Thank you for your help!

MelvinMelvin
    Monday, January 12, 2009 5:52 PM
  • It would take less time to load your VB6 program in VBE 2008 and convert it than it would to wait for delivery of VB6.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 6:51 PM
  • Although this isn't really the place to discuss VB6, I'm going to anyway :)

VB6 never was free. As time goes by, you'll find it more and more difficult to obtain a legal copy of VB6 (licensing and legitimacy don't expire just because the product is no longer made). As is becoming more and more prevalent with eBay and software, ensure you are buying original disks and the original key. Also, you may want to look for older visual studio editions (Visual Studio 6), or older versions plus an upgrade (e.g. VB5 or VB4 plus a VB6 upgrade).

It'll take some time, probably, to find something at a reasonable price. I personally found a copy of VS6 Enterprise for a couple of hundred dollars a few years ago.

You may have mixed luck opening the VB6 project in VB2005/8, as John mentioned, there's no harm in trying (after you have it backed up).

Stephen J Whiteley
    Monday, January 12, 2009 9:03 PM
  • It's been over a year since I have owned an MSDN subscription but you used to be able to download VB6 if you owned a subscription. Is this still true?
    Jeremy Western MCPD Windows – GeneralSoft Inc. www.generalsoft.com - jwestern at generalsoft dot com Please make sure to mark answers as helpful when used and answered when completed.
    Monday, January 12, 2009 9:20 PM
  • "You may have mixed luck opening the VB6 project in VB2005/8, as John mentioned, there's no harm in trying (after you have it backed up)."

Yeh!  It'll seem impossible when you first load it.  If you can get past the initial shock and actually start correcting the errors, you'll find that changing one thing will ofttimes eliminate a large number of errors.  If you stick with it, you'll have the program updated in a few days and it'll be a better program.

Monday, January 12, 2009 10:17 PM
  • JWolf011 said:

It's been over a year since I have owned an MSDN subscription but you used to be able to download VB6 if you owned a subscription. Is this still true?

Yes, Visual Basic 6.0 is still available if you have an MSDN subscription. Otherwise, it's pretty much a crapshoot finding a copy and if you find someone selling a legitimate licensed copy they usually want an arm and two legs for it.

If you find any copies, make certain it's the version you need. The Learning Edition cannot compile to an executable so is practically useless. You may be able to use the Standard Edition but if you're using any advanced features the Professional version may be required.

Either way you may have to bite the bullet, which means either taking your chances with the Upgrade Wizard in Visual Basic 2008 or pay the going rate for Visual Basic 6.0. I'd recommend the former but then I don't know how many changes would be required in order to make your app functional. I would seriously considering giving that option at least a shot first.
    Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 3:03 AM
  • another option although a ____ shoot is garage sales.  my uncle picked up visual studio (2003 i believe) for about 10 bucks.  but he frequents garage sales.  anyway just a thought.  might get lucky.

Jeff - www.srsoft.us
    FREE DEVELOPER TOOLS, CODE & PROJECTS at www.srsoft.us
    • Marked as answer by MelvinMelvin Friday, January 16, 2009 8:58 PM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:14 PM
  • Thank you for suggesting that I check e-bay for a copy of VB 6.0.

I did find some copies listed, but they are expensive.  I'm not sure if I will do this.
    MelvinMelvin
    Friday, January 16, 2009 8:42 PM
  • I'm leaning toward a conversion to VBE 2008, but it has me worried.  I did convert a much smaller program, with fewer controls, and it was very difficult.  This program is much larger, and has many more controls.  It would be the right way to go, but I'm sure it will take a long time.

Thanks!
    MelvinMelvin
    Friday, January 16, 2009 8:46 PM
  • I did forget, but now know, that VB 6.0 could not be downloaded free, as was VB 2005 Express.

If I have to choose between buying a copy for something like $100, versus struggling through a conversion to VB 2008, I probably will go the conversion route, since the end result is much better.

Thanks for your suggestions.
    MelvinMelvin
    Friday, January 16, 2009 8:51 PM
  • If I do try to get a copy of VB 6.0, I will probably look for a used copy, rather than looking for a way to download it.  However, I am leaning toward a conversion to VB 2008 Express.

Thanks
    MelvinMelvin
    Friday, January 16, 2009 8:55 PM
  • I have a large old program that I wish to maintain in VB 6.0.  My problem is that I need to move it to a new computer, and I do not have the original VB 6.0 exe download file.

I could not find a VB 6.0 download, but I did find "Service Pack 6 for Visual Basic 6.0".  I do not know whether this is the complete VB 6.0 program, or if it is only an upgrade which assumes that VB 6.0 is already installed.

I would appreciate it very much if anyone can give me an answer.
    MelvinMelvin

No problem !

You can download this portable version of Visual Basic 6.0 from here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2S8bTpQvQ1fb2VTZUx1Tk1EanM/edit?usp=sharing

or the normal Visual Studio 6.0 CD image (contains Visual Basic 6.0):

https://drive.google.com/?authuser=0#folders/0B2S8bTpQvQ1fYVZOcFMwLXVfU28

Thursday, February 27, 2014 8:50 AM
  • Where is the reply.
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 4:37 PM