How do I backup multi-boot as Separate Computers? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 7 system (pro 64), that I set up a default boot drive for my daughter. In that OS, take offline a few of the drives, and let her have at it (makes it harder for her to accidentally corrupt my data). When I use the computer, I boot to a different hard disk with the OS setup with everything available. In each OS, I have named the computer differently.

With Windows Home Server, it sees both boot drives as the same OS (same windows key?). It even changes the name of the computer in the backup list depending upon which OS setup has booted.

However, I would like to treat each boot as a separate computer, so if I have to restore one, it only does the relevant data and system boot information.

Any thoughts?

Saturday, October 31, 2009 8:44 PM

All replies

• Alternatively, when I am in my OS configuration, and her system drive is backed up as one of my data drives, if I restore that drive, will it boot normally for her?
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 8:47 PM
  • If both installations use the same product key, then (since they are the same hardware, etc.) they probably are being considered the same computer by Windows Home Server. Your best bet is really to build or buy an inexpensive computer for your daughter.

How you deal with restores is going to depend heavily on exactly how you have configured your multi-boot scenario, but in general you have to ensure that you restore all bootable partitions at the same time. If you have separate physical drives with bootable partitions on each, you may be able to get away with restoring all partitions on a given boot drive instead. Ideally, you should test restore scenarios in advance to make sure you know the procedures you will need to follow to successfully restore.

One note: The restore CD environment is 32 bit. If you need drivers for network or storage on your computer, the drivers extracted by Windows Home Server as part of each backup will usually not work, since you are using a 64 bit OS. In this case, you will have to obtain 32 bit Vista (preferably) or XP drivers, presumably from the manufacturer of your hardware.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 2:16 PM