Nightly backup fails to start RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

Running WHS over 802.11g with one connected client, Dell laptop with Vista Ultimate. I want to get this set up right before foisting it on the rest of the family ;-)

Automatic backup failed two nights running due to network issues (I understand this can be a problem with wireless networks and WHS) and I started & cancelled a couple of manual backups. I cleaned up the old failed and cancelled backups and, whilst configuring a custom backup, the nightly backup started a couple of times outside of the scheduled start/finish times. I cancelled these and managed to configure a backup of my client with a reduced file set. I kicked off this backup manually and all worked fine.

Three days later, with no nightly backups starting, I did a manual backup after reconfiguring the backup and removing the exclusions I had originally made. This worked fine and now I have at least one apparent full backup of the client.

It is now 3 days since the second manual backup and no nightly backups have occurred. I am not getting any warnings about the client not being backed up and WHS considers everything healthy.

Any ideas as to what may be preventing the automatic backups?

--
    Regards,
    Neale NOON

Friday, March 2, 2007 10:02 PM

Answers

• In the past three nights, have the backups started but failed, or not started at all?

To troubleshoot if the issue is with the wireless or not, do you have any way that you could leave the laptop connected via ethernet cable for just one night?
     If it works, you'll know to troubleshoot wireless.  If it still doesn't work, you'll know to start looking elsewhere.  You can always post a bug via Connect at that point.  Always be sure to run Talq when posting, if you haven't already.

Saturday, March 3, 2007 12:23 AM

All replies

• Kinda the standard windoes "fix"

Have you rebooted everything?

Still......Grey

Saturday, March 3, 2007 12:19 AM
  • In the past three nights, have the backups started but failed, or not started at all?

To troubleshoot if the issue is with the wireless or not, do you have any way that you could leave the laptop connected via ethernet cable for just one night?
     If it works, you'll know to troubleshoot wireless.  If it still doesn't work, you'll know to start looking elsewhere.  You can always post a bug via Connect at that point.  Always be sure to run Talq when posting, if you haven't already.

Saturday, March 3, 2007 12:23 AM
  • Greetings,

Rebooted both server and client. Backup service running on server. Client power scheme always-on and connected to A.C. Manual backups proceed fine. Copying a couple of gig to shared folders works fine. The event log, on the server, is reporting successful manual backups but no failed automatic backups.

The backups just don't start and there is nothing in the server event logs even remotely related to network issues.

There do seem to be a number of Home Server entries for failed and successful restores to the client however I have never attempted a restore from the server. I suspect these are generated when I open a backup from the console. (This results in a useless "My Backups" folder on the client desktop but that's already been reported as a bug by others)

I will try hard-wiring the laptop into the network but I doubt that it will help as there is no evidence of any failed attempts to start the backup on schedule.

I'll post a bug tomorrow and then do a WHS restore through Install/Upgrade and see if the expected behaviour returns.

--

Regards,
    Neale NOON

Saturday, March 3, 2007 1:31 AM