Ethernet Driver Update Killed WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I did something stupid (in hindsight) and am looking for some advice on how to rectify it ...

I wanted to improve the abysmal transfer speeds to/from my basic Mediasmart EX485 machine (one HDD). After reading a bunch of posts, I decided to start by updating the ethernet drivers. So I copied the latest driver to the server, and used the control panel/device manager to "update driver". Then I lost the connection to the server, and its never come back!!

I've tried a reboot of the server, but that didn't work. Given that the ethernet port is the only way to connect and work on the server - how do I fix an ethernet problem!!!
    Monday, November 16, 2009 4:20 AM

Answers

• You can check in your router, if the server got a different IP address after the driver upgrade.
    If so, you simply run discovery.exe from c:\program files\windows home server to reestablish the connection between the client and the server.
    If not, your only way is to perform a server recovery as outlined in the documentation of your machine. This will remove all stuff from C: including user accounts, applied updates, Add-Ins and customizations, but leave the data intact.

A very small chance would be to attach the system disk to another PC and replace the driver with the original one by copying the files to the proper place, removing the updated files (if you find them) and eventually edit the appropriate registry hive.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by KiwiDude2 Monday, November 16, 2009 8:08 PM
    Monday, November 16, 2009 10:38 AM

All replies

• You can check in your router, if the server got a different IP address after the driver upgrade.
    If so, you simply run discovery.exe from c:\program files\windows home server to reestablish the connection between the client and the server.
    If not, your only way is to perform a server recovery as outlined in the documentation of your machine. This will remove all stuff from C: including user accounts, applied updates, Add-Ins and customizations, but leave the data intact.

A very small chance would be to attach the system disk to another PC and replace the driver with the original one by copying the files to the proper place, removing the updated files (if you find them) and eventually edit the appropriate registry hive.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by KiwiDude2 Monday, November 16, 2009 8:08 PM
    Monday, November 16, 2009 10:38 AM
  • Thanks Olaf.  I've tried discovery a few times with no luck (and the server has a red led on the front) - so I guess I have to nuke it.

Thanks.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 8:09 PM
  • Hi,

You could try restarting the EX470 using the "last Known Good Configuration".
    Please see my post on Disabled network controller.

If you are patient (and have a lucky day as I did :-)

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, November 16, 2009 9:28 PM