Cannot install Power Pack 1 RRS feed

• Question

• Downloaded and tried to install Power Pack 1 this morning.

Once it extracted the files it gave me an error:

"This update can only be installed once server setup has completed."

I even did a reinstallation and a new installation and it gave me the same error.

HELP!!!

I dont know what to do and am tired of the data corruption issue. I really like Home Server but am frustrated with all the issues it has.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 7:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• If I understand correctly, you got this error even after a new installation on your hardware, which would have formatted all your disks? Did you then finish going through the OOBE phase, where you install client software on other home PCs, etc.? Have you rebooted your server?

I would submit a bug report on Connect, with talq logs from the server.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 7:20 PM
  • All 4 PC's except my laptop are shut down. I also had the OOBE issue with my install and am wondering if that has something to do with it. It said setup had not complete. But I followed a thread here and disabled it. Is there anything in the registry that would tell the update that the setup is still running?

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 7:30 PM
  • Yes, there is a registry entry that indicates setup is still running, but you should not simply disable that. Instead, best would be if you could recreate the OOBE issue and submit a bug report with the server in that state. It's something that shouldn't happen.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 8:18 PM
  • Please submit a bug report with your TALQ logs / CAB file number

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 8:36 PM
  • I will submit a bug report but I would like a workaround so I can at least test the software.
    Is that possible?

Luckily I have an image of the hard drive just in case of emergencies.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 8:51 PM
  • It is hard to guess at a workaround when your server is giving an error message that it never finished setup.  The logs will tell the home server team when you set up your home server, what happened and what the current status is.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:01 PM
  •  MTRS wrote:

Downloaded and tried to install Power Pack 1 this morning.

Once it extracted the files it gave me an error:

"This update can only be installed once server setup has completed."

I even did a reinstallation and a new installation and it gave me the same error.

HELP!!!

I dont know what to do and am tired of the data corruption issue. I really like Home Server but am frustrated with all the issues it has.

WHS has multiple reboots during installation.  Did you leave the DVD in the drive the entire time (until you saw the welcome screen)?

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:51 PM
  • CD was in the whole time.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 4:04 AM
  • I would read the Getting Started Manual and try installing the WIndows Home Server software from the DVD again.  You should get to a graphical setup screen that asks you to name your home server, set a password, etc.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 2:54 PM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:
    I would read the Getting Started Manual and try installing the WIndows Home Server software from the DVD again.  You should get to a graphical setup screen that asks you to name your home server, set a password, etc.

If these things are suppose to happen after i have never seen them.  I named the server when install first began. When install finished I had the problem of the welcome screen not going away and giving me aan error. I also had an issue during install where it told me that setup was alreading running. I have been reading the forums and these are common problems. I really dont think that setup ever finished but I was able to connect to all my computers with the connection software. Thats why i want to know is therre any way to restart the setup wizzard and finish the inatallation.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:01 PM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:

Please submit a bug report with your TALQ logs / CAB file number

How do i submit the report and how do i get these numbers?

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:03 PM
  •  MTRS wrote:
     T. Headrick wrote:

Please submit a bug report with your TALQ logs / CAB file number

How do i submit the report and how do i get these numbers?

Please review this link: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3445338&SiteID=50

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:11 PM
  • This problem has been solved. This issue was the result of bad backup media. I did a fresh install from original disk and had none of the issues that were discussed earlier in ths thread. I decided to back up the media again and burned it at a slower speed. Reinstalled once again to test it an viola! -Everythang is cool. This was a flawless install.

Now I have updated, activated, and Installed Power Pack1. Time to test.

Thanks for all your help!

Thursday, June 12, 2008 2:37 AM