Question about the Address Book Service RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello I am in the process of migrating from LCS 2005 to OCS. I am preparing to upgrade my access edge servers and director tonight. Currently the Address book services if located with the LCS Director which is unsupported with OCS.

Our thoughts were to add the ABService to a separate box separate from the OCS director. Do you see any issues with this?

Thanks

Monday, January 7, 2008 7:41 PM

All replies

• The Address Book Service in OCS is, by default, located on the internal Front-End server.  Is there a reason you don't want the service located there?  I'd recommend following the deployment guidelines and leaving that component where it wants to be installed.

If you deploy an Enterprise Edition Front-End server you can select the location of the AB files during setup, in case you want to locate them on another drive for backup reasons, if that is your concern.

Monday, January 7, 2008 9:44 PM
  • The reason we are deploying it in this fashion is because we are following the migration document.  We are starting from the outside by replacing the Access Proxy with the OCS Access Edge.  The second step is to replace the LCS Director with the OCS Director.  Presently the ABS service is running on the LCS Director and we either need to separate it or load the OCS ABS (Web/IIS).  I suppose my question is whether the OCS ABS will also work for the LCS clients until we are able to bring up the OCS Front End servers.

Monday, January 7, 2008 9:57 PM
  • I have actually performed migration in a different order than the Migration Guide, as I've deployed the internal components first in order to get internal clients piloted and testing new features, so I can't saw as to the order you are following.

But if you follow that guide item by item, I'd assume that you should have no problems with clients accessing the current Address Book information as the order must have been tested throughly.  Although sometimes difficult to follow, I haven't been steered wrong by using the Deployment Guides correctly.

Monday, January 7, 2008 10:08 PM