Free disk space not accurate? RRS feed

• Question

• I got a notification today that I have less than 5 GB of disk space left on my WHS system partition.  So I looked for myself and that appears to be true.  I also looked at my other drives and saw that I have roughly 15% free of about 180 GB, which doesn't agree with what the WHS Console shows me... that I have 82 GB free.

I was reading that you're not supposed to interact directly with the file system of drives in the pool, and I have.  Could that be causing the discrepency in free disk space, or is this just the way WHS manages the storage pool?

Thursday, May 24, 2007 10:38 PM

Answers

• Please note that the free space reporting in the pie chart was inaccurate for CTP build. The backup pie was showing much lower used space, making the free space appear bigger than it was actually. So you might want to check from explorer for the right space status. (The bug was fixed post CTP.)
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 10:54 PM

All replies

• The only interaction that is discouraged, as far as I'm aware, is placing files directly onto the data drive, as that could confuse things - it should always be done through the shared folders.

WHS has its own way of managing the D: drive and any other drives in the pool, so the apparent free space on D: through Explorer doesn't relate to how much space there may be available in the pool.

Because the search indexing of the shared folders is stored on C: this can cause a problem if you have lots of files. Hopefully this issue will be resolved in the RC1 build.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 10:45 PM
  • Please note that the free space reporting in the pie chart was inaccurate for CTP build. The backup pie was showing much lower used space, making the free space appear bigger than it was actually. So you might want to check from explorer for the right space status. (The bug was fixed post CTP.)
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 10:54 PM
  • That explains it then...
    Friday, May 25, 2007 2:30 AM