CRM 4.0 Trial Enterprise to Full license (Profesional) RRS feed

• Question

•  

Ok, I have a production CRM 4.0 installation using the 90 day trial license - I believe I chose the Enterprise installation when I upgraded.  I was under the impression that my CRM 3.0 Professional licenses w/ SA upgraded either to Professional or Enterprise.  But I am now being told that the upgrade path is to CRM 4.0 Professional and Enterprise requires a step up license.  So my production server has a license on it.  But when I look at the CRM deployment manager and view the license it is an all numeric key and is not any of the three alpha-numeric Trial license keys.   Note (this was an upgrade from CRM 3.0 pro to CRM 4.0 using the trial key at installation). 

I recieved the profesional media from my Volume license vendor.  I attempted to upgrade my License key with the key in the License.txt file on the media.  I recieve an error that states that "the license code entered is not valid fro upgrade.  Make sure you have entered the license code correctly, and then try again."

I don't know what to do at this point, and do not know how much longer my 90 day trial is going to last (no counter that I can find).

I look forward to your help / advice.

Monday, April 7, 2008 6:54 PM

Answers

• Thank you for your help.  My microsoft Volume License vendor was able to order me an Enterprise media set. I used the license key in that media and was able to upgrade the license and was able to register my installation.

Thanks again.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:38 PM

All replies

•  

you need new license for crm 4, crm 3.0 license will not work for professional or enterprise.

Check MS for your licensing model.

Regards,

Imran

http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com

Monday, April 7, 2008 7:09 PM
  • Yes, have you read the licensing upgrade path doc?   I was on the line with my Volume license vendor and their Microsoft Representative that exclusively does CRM licensing and he was unsure of how the upgrade path works in my scenerio.  But... I believe they are working it out for me, where the Enterprise media will be sent to me.   I am going to try to apply the License keys from that media and see if the deployment manager upgrades my license with the enterprise keys.

I have SA, but since the original purchase took place before CRM 4.0 the media is not available for download from the MSVLS site (for me).   A Volume license for CRM 3.0 prof w/ sa can upgrade to CRM 4.0 Professional or to two Enterprise servers.  The SA for Enterprise will then need to be purchased at renewal.  When I upgraded to CRM 4.0 from 3.0 I installed using the 90 day Trial Key for CRM 4.0 Enterprise.  but my License vendor sent the media for CRM 4.0 Prof. so that license key is not what I want.

I am still puzzled by the license key that I currently have showing in my Deployment manager.  It is an all numeric key that is not in the right format (is not 5 sets or 5 alpha-numeric).  If it is my CRM 3.0 key, then how is my CRM 4.0 deployment working without a CRM 4.0 license key?

Does anyone know how to see how many days are left on the 90 day trial for CRM 4.0?

Monday, April 7, 2008 10:42 PM
  •  

FredZilz,

My understanding agrees with yours. Customers on CRM 3.0 Professional with Software Assurance may upgrade to either CRM 4.0 Professional or CRM 4.0 Enterprise.

Since you installed the Enterprise Trial key it is not possible to downgrade to Professional which is why your Professional CRM 4.0 media key did not work. You will need the Enterprise media key which you are getting.

The license key that is shown in Deployment Manager is not in the same format as the key from the media. The fact that you have CRM 4.0 up and working is conclusive proof that you have entered a CRM 4.0 key (even if it is a trial key).

You can see the actual key that was used during installation by querying the ConfigSettings table in the MSCRM_CONFIG database.

Run the following in an SQL query window in SQL Server Management Studio:

use MSCRM_CONFIG

select licensekey from configsettings

What I haven't been able to figure is a way of determining how long is left on a trial.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 7:07 AM
  • Actually, I've just checked the configsettings table and noticed that there is a InstallOn field. That may help in determining how long is left for the trial. Mind you it would be too easy to change that field wouldn't it?

use MSCRM_CONFIG

select InstallOn, licensekey from configsettings

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 7:13 AM
  • Thank you for your help.  My microsoft Volume License vendor was able to order me an Enterprise media set. I used the license key in that media and was able to upgrade the license and was able to register my installation.

Thanks again.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:38 PM