crashes due to sleep during tuneup RRS feed

• Question

• At least twice now, I have noticed that components of OneCare crash is the computer goes to hybrid sleep (automatically) during a Tuneup. Has anybody else seen this behavior. I haven't seen it except during tuneup.
    Thursday, July 19, 2007 11:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello, Brant. Can you file a bug with your support log on Connect for this issue? http://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

Thanks.

-steve

Thursday, July 19, 2007 4:07 PM
  • I started getting system lockups after installing OneCare, but I can't really pinpoint it to anything just yet. Like you, mine crashes, after inactivity, but it never reaches sleep (unless I hit the sleep button myself). Also the tuneup has not run yet. Since the screen is black when the freeze finally happens I can't see what's going on. I'm going to have to disable screen blanking and auto-lock so I can see the state of the desktop when this happens.

Sunday, July 29, 2007 6:59 PM
  • This happens to me as well and I've not been able to successfully run OneCare's tuneup.  I can't get through the defrag.  When I try to restart and it reaches defrag it takes just as long as if it had not done the defrag at all.  I'm very disappointed.

Thursday, March 6, 2008 6:05 AM
  • Please contact support to have this investigated, NathanRay.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Saturday, March 8, 2008 12:54 AM
  • I have the same issue. machine locks up on virus scan issue. At first I thought it was inacivity so the computer was going in to the sleep mode, but I have stayed on and endured the scan. This issue occurs  at the same point of virus scan in the 90th percentile. This lock up occurs to me during regular virus scan and onthe  the virus scan portion during tune up. There is a glitch.

Julia

Friday, March 14, 2008 12:09 AM
  •  simonnjulia794 wrote:

I have the same issue. machine locks up on virus scan issue. At first I thought it was inacivity so the computer was going in to the sleep mode, but I have stayed on and endured the scan. This issue occurs  at the same point of virus scan in the 90th percentile. This lock up occurs to me during regular virus scan and onthe  the virus scan portion during tune up. There is a glitch.

Julia

julia, have a look at this thread - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2987605&SiteID=2

I'll copy my first reply to that thread:

Stephen Boots wrote:

When Tune-up appears to be stuck at 90% while scanning for viruses and spyware, that typically means it has found a threat or threats and is taking action on them - which can be a lengthy process.

Does Tune-up ever finish at that point or are you canceling? How long are you waiting at the 90% mark?

-steve

Friday, March 14, 2008 1:34 AM
  •  

the computer locks up and goes black. i am on a laptop. the screan goes black not in sleep mode. the rest of the lights on the keeboard are on. clicking on any key or moving the the mouse doesn't produce any responcess. i have to hard boot at that point. scan never finishes.
    Friday, March 14, 2008 3:01 AM
  •  Tune-up never finish at that point, however i am not canceling. I am not waiting at the 90% mark. what occurs at that  is that the computer screen goes dark. not like a screen saver, or sleep mode. I am on a laptop and the keyboard is still on which includes all the lights. at that point I have do a hard boot. nothing is captured in the reports so i can't go back and clean what ever is causing this.

-Julia

Friday, March 14, 2008 3:10 AM
  • I think what is happening, Julia, is what is described in the other thread. OneCare is attempting to resolve issues with found threats - at the 90% mode. However, because it is taking so long and this is CPU intensive, your screen goes black due to power saving/inactivity and the screensaver may not be able to start. It may still be running when you hard boot the PC, but we don't know. Does your hard disk light blink, even intermittently after the screen goes black?
    In any event, I do believe that your best bet would be to reach out to support for a review of the system, because that initial 90% hang indicates that there is a threat somewhere on the PC. I suspect that dealing with that threat will allow Tune-up to complete without the apparent 90% hang.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, March 14, 2008 1:04 PM