none
Upgrade my previous version of Home Server ? RRS feed

• Question

• I current have a Acer Aspire AH340 Home Server running the previous version (2007) very well.

Can I upgrade to the WHS 2011 without losing all the data in my storage, PC connected, backups, etc ?

Where can i find more information about it ?

Thanks, din

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 12:30 AM

Answers

• Your server just about meets the minimum specification for WHS2011 so will not perform well. Depending on the number of disks you have, you may be able to transfer the data if you install WHS2011 on your system disk, but there is no upgrade path - data transfer will all be manual. Your previous PC backups will not be usable. My recommendation would be to build a new server with more appropriate hardware and transfer data from the old to new via your network. Once again, client backups are not transferable but if you have two servers running you are safe before you retire your old hardware.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Dinis Couto Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:05 PM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:28 AM
  • No upgrade is possible from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS.  Unless there is something you absolutely need in WHS2011, I would stay with v1, the version that came on your Acer.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I current have a Acer Aspire AH340 Home Server running the previous version (2007) very well.

Can I upgrade to the WHS 2011 without losing all the data in my storage, PC connected, backups, etc ?

Thanks, din

BullDawg
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 7:48 AM

All replies

• Your server just about meets the minimum specification for WHS2011 so will not perform well. Depending on the number of disks you have, you may be able to transfer the data if you install WHS2011 on your system disk, but there is no upgrade path - data transfer will all be manual. Your previous PC backups will not be usable. My recommendation would be to build a new server with more appropriate hardware and transfer data from the old to new via your network. Once again, client backups are not transferable but if you have two servers running you are safe before you retire your old hardware.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:28 AM
  • No upgrade is possible from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS.  Unless there is something you absolutely need in WHS2011, I would stay with v1, the version that came on your Acer.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

I current have a Acer Aspire AH340 Home Server running the previous version (2007) very well.

Thanks, din

BullDawg
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 7:48 AM