Moving Hard Drive Locations RRS feed

• Question

•  

Question,

If I was to install a 500GB drive into bay three on my MSS, then later move it to the eSata location would the data on the drive potentially be lost?

Carl

Saturday, December 22, 2007 9:26 PM

All replies

• good queston

Friday, December 28, 2007 6:15 PM
  • I wouldn't recommend moving the drive from one connector to another without first removing it from the storage pool.
    Friday, December 28, 2007 8:13 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    I wouldn't recommend moving the drive from one connector to another without first removing it from the storage pool.

Nope, works perfectly fine.

I have 80 SATA ports on my WHS hardware, and I can move a drive to any port and WHS will detect it just fine with no loss of data. I'm not sure how this would behave with IDE/SCSI though, although in theory it should still be fine.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 12:01 AM
  • In this case, the OP is going to be moving it from one SATA controller, with one chipset, to a different controller and chipset. I've had less than stellar success doing that with just plain old Windows, though I'm sure drivers had something to do with it in that case. I agree that it's safe enough if you're moving from one port on a controller to a different one...

Oh, yes: 80 SATA ports? Can you point me at the controllers you're using? Smile Not that I need that capability, I'm just curious...
    Sunday, December 30, 2007 3:54 AM
  • 1 Tyan s5360 dual Xeon motherboard with 4 PCI-X 133MHz slots.

4 Sil 3124 based HBAs with 4 ports each = 16 total ports.

Each port capable of supporting a port multiplier (5 ports).

80 SATA ports.

Smile

Sunday, December 30, 2007 8:03 AM
  • This wasn't exactly what my original post was but I plugged in a second SATA controller - a Promise.  My first controller was a different make with a Silicon Image 3512 chipset.  I changed the drive connection from the original card to the new Promise card and rebooted.  After chugging away for a while the system came to life and it saw the 2x500GB drives that I moved from the original to new controller.

Originally I was going to try setting up some drives as external and then move them to internal but I went ahead and bought the new SATA card instead.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 6:54 PM