none
Discussion threads RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I believe someone already raised this problem before, but I see more and more cases in the T-SQL forum I visit when the question is asked as a discussion. Perhaps there should be more restrictions or some confirmation dialogs so the new users would not select discussion type as the type of their question by mistake.

Each time I come across such a thread I have to spend time writing an e-mail to a moderator asking him to fix the thread type.
    Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

Naomi Nosonovsky, Sr. Programmer-Analyst

My blog
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 4:57 PM

Answers

• Now since I am a moderator in that forum, I simply correct the problem myself. I usually have 2 -4 messages to correct every day.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Sunday, May 13, 2012 5:02 AM

All replies

• Well, questions are the default, so people have to make a concious effort to change it, which is odd. If they choose it, I'm not sure a dialog prompt or something would help much, it might I guess. I'll take a look at the data and see if there has been some recent trend or something around more discussions.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 11:32 PM
    Answerer
  • Now since I am a moderator in that forum, I simply correct the problem myself. I usually have 2 -4 messages to correct every day.

My blog

Sunday, May 13, 2012 5:02 AM
  • So you think users are leaving too many questions in Discussion types? Unfortunately, this is out of scope and part of the design of the forums. It's built for that imperfection.

And it would require those threads to either be ignored as questions (in that case the asker should have been more careful) or that the OP or Moderator changes the type. I'd only change the type if someone actually answers the question (so that they can get credit).

So a feature to mitigate this issue would belong in the feature request and feedback forum since this flaw was always known.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Sunday, May 13, 2012 5:05 AM
    Owner
  • I don't know how the users create the thread with the wrong type, but if I see that the thread is a question, I fix it. I consider it's part of the moderator's job, but of course, I would prefer to not spend time on fixing these threads. 

My blog

Sunday, May 13, 2012 5:08 AM