An Update Failed, Now WHS Connector Is Gone RRS feed

• Question

• On Nov 28th or 29th 2008, I received an update notification for a component of my WHS "package."  The update notification was received on a client in my network that's running Vista Home Premium SP1.  Frankly, I'm not 100% familiar with all the proper terminology regarding WHS components; that's why I called it my WHS "package."

The odd thing was that when I tried to proceed with the update, a warning msg was displayed that indicated the downloaded files may contain a virus.  I killed that update attempt, retried, and got the same virus warning message.  However, I began to suspect it was a false alarm and just proceeded with the update.  The main reason why I proceeded was that I noticed that another client system (XP Pro SP3) in my network also got the update notification, but the update setting for this other client is apparently set to automatic; a balloon msg indicated the update completed successfully on the XP Pro SP3 client.

Well, the update failed on the Vista system and now the WHS Connector icon that used to appear in my System Tray no longer appears.  As I looked at my list of Services, a service that I think was called "Windows Home Server Connector" is no longer listed.

My best guess ... and I do mean guess ... is that the update installer wanted to de-install the previous version of the Connector software, but since the update failed, this left me without the Connector software being installed on my client.  But as I said, this is just a guess.

Yes, I suppose I might try to simply re-install my Connector software.  However, before messing around with things, I thought I'd at least report this problem in the hope that others may have seen this, with the ultimate goal of learning the best recommended solution.

Thanks, all.
    Tony

Sunday, November 30, 2008 4:00 PM

Answers

• Tony Rony said:

On Nov 28th or 29th 2008, I received an update notification for a component of my WHS "package."  The update notification was received on a client in my network that's running Vista Home Premium SP1.  Frankly, I'm not 100% familiar with all the proper terminology regarding WHS components; that's why I called it my WHS "package."

The odd thing was that when I tried to proceed with the update, a warning msg was displayed that indicated the downloaded files may contain a virus.  I killed that update attempt, retried, and got the same virus warning message.  However, I began to suspect it was a false alarm and just proceeded with the update.  The main reason why I proceeded was that I noticed that another client system (XP Pro SP3) in my network also got the update notification, but the update setting for this other client is apparently set to automatic; a balloon msg indicated the update completed successfully on the XP Pro SP3 client.

Well, the update failed on the Vista system and now the WHS Connector icon that used to appear in my System Tray no longer appears.  As I looked at my list of Services, a service that I think was called "Windows Home Server Connector" is no longer listed.

Yes, you should have a service called Windows Home Server Connector Service.

Tony Rony said:

My best guess ... and I do mean guess ... is that the update installer wanted to de-install the previous version of the Connector software, but since the update failed, this left me without the Connector software being installed on my client.  But as I said, this is just a guess.

Yes, I suppose I might try to simply re-install my Connector software.  However, before messing around with things, I thought I'd at least report this problem in the hope that others may have seen this, with the ultimate goal of learning the best recommended solution.

Thanks, all.
    Tony

I would go through the Control Panel on your Vista PC and see if you still have a program installed called Windows Home Server Connector.  If you do, uninstall it, then reboot your computer (if not, skip to the next step).  Then just go to \\server\software\home server connector software and run WHSConnectorInstall.exe to install the newest version.
    • Marked as answer by Tony Rony Monday, December 1, 2008 3:43 AM
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 4:26 PM

All replies

• Tony Rony said:

On Nov 28th or 29th 2008, I received an update notification for a component of my WHS "package."  The update notification was received on a client in my network that's running Vista Home Premium SP1.  Frankly, I'm not 100% familiar with all the proper terminology regarding WHS components; that's why I called it my WHS "package."

Yes, you should have a service called Windows Home Server Connector Service.

Tony Rony said:

Thanks, all.
    Tony

I would go through the Control Panel on your Vista PC and see if you still have a program installed called Windows Home Server Connector.  If you do, uninstall it, then reboot your computer (if not, skip to the next step).  Then just go to \\server\software\home server connector software and run WHSConnectorInstall.exe to install the newest version.
    • Marked as answer by Tony Rony Monday, December 1, 2008 3:43 AM
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 4:26 PM
  • I had just a similar behavior (also that virus warning has been shown on my Vista clients) - got it fixed by uninstalling the fresh installed update via Control Panel on the server, rebooting and reinstalling that update again.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 5:43 PM
  • kariya21 said:

Kariya ... Your diagnosis and suggested fix worked fine and I'm grateful.  However, my lack of experience caused me to fumble around a bit, but I eventually found what you meant.

My situation was slightly different because I've got the HP system, therefore instead of \\server, for me it's \\hpserver.  At first I thought you meant to connect via the Remote Desktop Connection utility to run the Connector Software install utility.  Then I expected to find the destination you mentioned via Windows Explorer under my Network, but although the HP Server appeared in the right pane of Explorer, double-clicking the HPServer icon only produced a browser session pointing me to a Welcome page that I suspect was coming from the WHS Server.

Hmmm, then what to do?  Eventually I got a clue that the path you gave me meant that I should do a Run on the client where the WHS Connector Software was to be re-installed.  AH!  To my amazement and joy, as I began to type in my client's Run dialog box, the path you recommended was already in the Run dialog's cache.  But at first I thought I was looking for "\\server\software\home" when actually it should have been "\\hpserver\Software\Home Server Connector Software".

Well, as I said, I'm very grateful for your advice and I thank you and my luck for finding where you were trying to send me.  Thank you again.

Tony

Monday, December 1, 2008 3:43 AM
  • Tony Rony said:

Kariya ... Your diagnosis and suggested fix worked fine and I'm grateful.  However, my lack of experience caused me to fumble around a bit, but I eventually found what you meant.

My situation was slightly different because I've got the HP system, therefore instead of \\server, for me it's \\hpserver.

Sorry about that.  Sometimes I forget that some people out there bought the HP MSS.  :)

Tony Rony said:
    At first I thought you meant to connect via the Remote Desktop Connection utility to run the Connector Software install utility.

FYI, RDC to the server is unsupported (although I have been known to ask users to use it on occasion :)  ).

Tony Rony said:

Then I expected to find the destination you mentioned via Windows Explorer under my Network, but although the HP Server appeared in the right pane of Explorer, double-clicking the HPServer icon only produced a browser session pointing me to a Welcome page that I suspect was coming from the WHS Server.

Hmmm, then what to do?  Eventually I got a clue that the path you gave me meant that I should do a Run on the client where the WHS Connector Software was to be re-installed.  AH!  To my amazement and joy, as I began to type in my client's Run dialog box, the path you recommended was already in the Run dialog's cache.  But at first I thought I was looking for "http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/f07326d4-3d5a-401a-a3fe-a8113c411fe7" when actually it should have been "http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/f07326d4-3d5a-401a-a3fe-a8113c411fe7".

Well, as I said, I'm very grateful for your advice and I thank you and my luck for finding where you were trying to send me.  Thank you again.

Tony

Monday, December 1, 2008 4:22 AM