Restore to one machine, ship to another RRS feed

• Question

• Assuming a WHS image has been taken of a remote machine, can I restore a drive of the remote machine via the WHS restore disk to a new disk on a local machine (which may not have the same hardware configuration as the remote machine, but will have the same drive type, i.e. SATA, IDE, etc), and then ship the drive to the remote location?

Will this work OK?

In other words, will the WHS restore program allow me to just do the VSS restore over the network despite the fact that the hardware on the machine used to load the image to the new drive is different from the hardware on the machine on which the drive will eventually be installed?

After the drive is restored to completion locally there is no need to boot the local machine.  The drive would just be shipped off to the remote location.

Thanks in advance for any reply.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:12 AM

Answers

• Olaf Engelke said:

Hi Alex,
    you would not even need to use the Restore CD. Instead you can attach the disk to the running client as secondary drive and use ClientRestoreWizard.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server to restore the partition to the attached drive (given you have prepared a fitting volume already).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

I would preferably use the restore CD, unless you can't get it work on that particular machine. If you run the restore wizard the way Olaf suggests there's a risk that the backup will not be restored properly due to interference of other programs (for example installed Anti Virus programs).
    • Marked as answer by Alex Barimo Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:52 AM
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:08 AM

All replies

• This should be no problem, just make sure you restore to the correct disk.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:24 AM
  • Hi Alex,
    you would not even need to use the Restore CD. Instead you can attach the disk to the running client as secondary drive and use ClientRestoreWizard.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server to restore the partition to the attached drive (given you have prepared a fitting volume already).
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:55 AM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Hi Alex,
    Olaf

I would preferably use the restore CD, unless you can't get it work on that particular machine. If you run the restore wizard the way Olaf suggests there's a risk that the backup will not be restored properly due to interference of other programs (for example installed Anti Virus programs).
    • Marked as answer by Alex Barimo Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:52 AM
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:08 AM
  • Brubber and Olaf: Thanks for your responses.  You guys (and others on this forum) are really helpful and it's appreciated.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 11:02 AM