Problem installing WHS2011 on HP EX490 RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone help me out with this weird problem. I'm trying to install WHS2011 RC on a HP EX490 with 4 GB memory and a disk woth a size of approx. 250GB. The installation is done through a bootable USB key.

Installing WHS2011 RC initially is ok, but during the configuration {Download and run setup wizard} at approx. 57 % the setup fails with an error. (an error occured when setting up the server, .......blah blah.....try setting up the server again). At that moment i am able to start an RDP session to the server and save the error logs. Within this RDP session and this screen i am able to drill down to the computer details and configuration through server manager. The problem i see within device manager is that a mass storage device is in yellow --> wrong or no driver. --> i was able to get a good driver for this issue but it didn't resolve the problem.

Another problem i see is in the event manager which states that the active directory certificate service may need to be reinstalled.

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-CertificationAuthority
    Date:          9-2-2011 21:54:25
    Event ID:      5
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      VailPremServer
    Description:
    Active Directory Certificate Services could not find required registry information.  The Active Directory Certificate Services may need to be reinstalled.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-CertificationAuthority" Guid="{6A71D062-9AFE-4F35-AD08-52134F85DFB9}" EventSourceName="CertSvc" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49754">5</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-02-09T20:54:25.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>185</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>VailPremServer</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData Name="MSG_BAD_REGISTRY">
      </EventData>
    </Event>

I think the last stated problem is causing the setup to fail. But what i see is that this certificate service is configured automatically within the setup. Can someone help me out?

Thx,

Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:38 AM

Answers

• Eventually problem solved. I retried installing the server a second, third and fourth time but no luck. Then i realized the problem could also be the install files on the usb disk themselves. I recreated the same USB disk for installing WHS and the no problem. Now the certificate service installed correctly.

Looks like the steps i went through creating the bootable usb disk raised the problem . I used the microsoft tool "Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe" to create a bootable usb disk with the WHS 2011 RC ISO but it looks like not all the install files were create on this USB device.

@ Theo; Thanx for responding.

• Marked as answer by P.M. de Goeij Friday, February 18, 2011 4:50 PM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 4:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Looks like server installation somehow did not run properly.
    Did you retry installing the server a second time?

Make sure any existng partions on the system disk are removed?
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 12:24 PM
  • Eventually problem solved. I retried installing the server a second, third and fourth time but no luck. Then i realized the problem could also be the install files on the usb disk themselves. I recreated the same USB disk for installing WHS and the no problem. Now the certificate service installed correctly.

Looks like the steps i went through creating the bootable usb disk raised the problem . I used the microsoft tool "Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe" to create a bootable usb disk with the WHS 2011 RC ISO but it looks like not all the install files were create on this USB device.

@ Theo; Thanx for responding.

• Marked as answer by P.M. de Goeij Friday, February 18, 2011 4:50 PM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 4:50 PM