Drivers on a USB Key RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering if you could multiple computer Device Drivers for restore on a single USB key, such as:
    \Computer 1\Drivers
    \Computer 2\Drivers
    etc.

I seem to need the drivers for just about any computer I restore, so if I could use one USB key for all computers I could make it ahead of time instead of having multiple keys, or making the key as I need it.

Thanks
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 11:58 PM

All replies

• You can give it a try. Boot each of your computers off the Restore CD (you don't need to proceed past the hardware detection screens) and make a note of which ones need drivers. Then put all those drivers on the flash drive, and try again. 

The downside to this is that occasionally you will encounter a driver that will bluescreen if it doesn't find it's associated hardware, or if it finds hardware that it's incompatible with. This is rare, however.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 9, 2009 5:46 PM
  • So it will look past the root directory, ie \Drivers\ if I just had the one driver folder on the USB key?  I was just going to open a backup from each computer and copy the Driver folder onto the key under the computer name.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 11:42 PM
  • Yes. As an experiment during the WHS public beta, I put drivers in U:/Bob/And/Carol/And/Ted/And/Alice and they were found just fine.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 4:36 PM
  • Ok, thanks Ken.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:17 AM