Not able to add external hard drive as backup hard drive on PP1 RRS feed

• Question

• In the release documentation on PP1, under “Home server backup”, they explain how to add an external hard drive as a backup hard drive for my home server. I try this, but either I’m doing something wrong or it doesn’t work the way they explain it.

I have a 500 GB Maxtor external hard drive. I plug it in the USB on my Home Server. And it shows up in my “Windows Home Server Console”, under “Server Storage”, as “Maxtor OneTouch III USB Device” – not added. As far as I can see, I have one option, and that’s +Add. And then my impression is that I’m supposed to get an option to use the hard drive to back up my shared folders. I’m not able to “see” that option…

I press +Add, I get the “welcome to the add a hard drive wizard” screen, and press next. Then I get the formatting new hard drive warning screen, and the option to finish the wizard. And then the hard drive is added as a “normal hard drive”. Where am I supposed to get the option to use it as a backup hard drive…??

Tony

Sunday, August 3, 2008 7:35 AM

Answers

• You don't have Power Pack 1 installed at this time. You may have installed it during the PP1 beta, then removed it in preparation for the final release. Using the 'Update Now...' button in the WHS Console won't update your software to the final version, though; it only checks Windows Updates. PP1 will not be released on Windows Updates until sometime later this month.

You can download Power Pack 1 RTM from here.
    Sunday, August 3, 2008 3:21 PM

All replies

• You should get the option to use the drive for either server storage, or file backup, on the second page of the wizard where there are two radio buttons. This is before you get to the format option, as if this say, is a drive that you are using for off-site backup, WHS recognises that there is data on the drive, and gives the option to format or not.

Colin

Sunday, August 3, 2008 7:55 AM
  • When I click the "Next" button on the first welcome screen, the next screen I get is the Format screen. And the only options I have there is Back, Finish or cancel, and no radio buttons. And if I press "Finish", the hard drive is formatted and added as a normal hard drive.

The last time I tried that, it took me a couple of hourse to remove it again. Even though I removed it 20 seconds after I added it...

Sunday, August 3, 2008 8:11 AM
  • You could try adding the drive to another computer, formatting it there, and then re-adding it to the server. It could be just a glitch.

You don't have any other drives either in or on the server, with the same make of hard drive do you?

Colin

Sunday, August 3, 2008 9:22 AM
  • Kavli, I don't believe you have installed Power Pack 1 on your server. The server backup feature is part of Power Pack 1 and won't be available without it.

Can you please open the Windows Home Server Console, click on Settings, then Resources, and tell us the version numbers reported under Version Information?
    Sunday, August 3, 2008 2:06 PM
  •  

Yes, I have to agree. I also wondered if that might be the problem. But I do remember that i downloaded and installed PP1, and everything seemed to work OK. The server restarted and everything. And when I try to upgrade the software now, it tells me that I have the latest version. Well, anyways - here is mye version information:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1500.8
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1500.8

It doesn't tell me much...

Sunday, August 3, 2008 2:18 PM
  • You don't have Power Pack 1 installed at this time. You may have installed it during the PP1 beta, then removed it in preparation for the final release. Using the 'Update Now...' button in the WHS Console won't update your software to the final version, though; it only checks Windows Updates. PP1 will not be released on Windows Updates until sometime later this month.

You can download Power Pack 1 RTM from here.
    Sunday, August 3, 2008 3:21 PM
  • YES! Now it works! I get the radio buttons, and the hards drive is now added as a backup hard drive. And I'm now backing up, even as I wright!

Very happy camper!

Thank you for good help!

Sunday, August 3, 2008 8:01 PM