OneCare has lost its mind on my computer RRS feed

• General discussion

• I noticed some serious lag in games and such just all of a sudden. When I looked to see what's the culprit, I noticed a OneCare process popping up and disappeaing every couple seconds or so. Check in one care and it is CONSTANTLY checking for updates. I try to change any setting and it tells me it is having "unknown problems." I think I'm going to uninstall it for now.

Monday, August 27, 2007 2:30 AM

All replies

• Sorry to read about this problem, but I was amused by your subject. I'm wondering if there is or was some sort of server issue causing this problem. Nobody else has reported an issue like this, but a number of other features in OneCare are being reported as failing with "unknown error" or similar since the start of the weekend.

-steve

Monday, August 27, 2007 6:48 PM
  • i have a simular prblem, just not with games,

and if it is an issue what issue is it?

Monday, November 26, 2007 4:32 AM
  •  needaknow wrote:

i have a simular prblem, just not with games,

and if it is an issue what issue is it?

Please contact support for your problem - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, November 26, 2007 6:44 PM
  •  

I've got the same problem.

It took OneCare over 8 hours to do 1% of an antivirus scan.  My CPU resources are maxed out and my programs are suffering badly.

I've deleted OneCare, rebooted with network, did the OneCare cleanup (full scan), it had one issue it could not resolve.  I rebooted normally, reinstalled OneCare, and had the identical problem.

winss.exe causing 2 implementations of svchost.exe to hog 98% of CPU resources.

I've spent way too much time with OneCare trying to resolve this issue.  So I dumped OneCare and loaded AVG (freeware) so that I at least had some protection, and was able to get a little work done.

I'll load Spybot shortly.

----------------------- I feel badly about having expressed the following, it was unfair of me ---------------------

Until OneCare can come up with an update to fix their own generated problem, I won't be subscribing to OneCare anymore.  Until OneCare provided a new Update, I didn't have any problems and I touted OneCare as the best thing since optical mice.

I tried to do a System Restore to retrieve the old version of OneCare, it didn't work.

Damned Update.  It's cost me at least 10 hours of misery.

------------------------------- End of meaningless content --------------------------------

The PROBLEM was I had more than 3 computers loaded with OneCare

================== My Mistake =====================

I found that I had inadvertently loaded OneCare on 4 machines.  Since I only use my desktop and laptop normally, I can not speak to how the other two are running.  I'll have to go play with them to find out.

But I suspect that OneCare goes and looks to Update and it can't because there isn't a valid license.

I just reloaded the free anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-pop-up, and firewall software I had on the laptop before I purchased OneCare.

I would guess, if someone has a similar problem, then they might need to purchase an extra license for the 4th computer.  However, I don't see a means to Add a fourth or fifth computer to your "Circle".  You might have to pay for 3 more licenses.  I would guess OneCare has something figured out for supporting a workgroup of more than 3 computers.

Moderator?  Any suggestions for adding a 4th computer to the "Circle"?

James

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 6:16 AM
  •  junkstopshere wrote:

I've got the same problem.

It took OneCare over 8 hours to do 1% of an antivirus scan.  My CPU resources are maxed out and my programs are suffering badly.

<snip>

Damned Update.  It's cost me at least 10 hours of misery.

James

No, James, you have a different problem, although possibly worse. There have been a number of reports of this problem in the antivirus and tune-up topics in the last few days. The cause has not been identified. However, it has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.

I'm sorry that you encountered the problem and can certainly understand not wanting to spend any more time with it. I do hope that the cause can be identified quickly and resolved even more quickly.

-steve

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 4:23 PM
  • Moderator,

I'm sorry for expressing my exasperation having to do with OneCare not working; it was my mistake.  I think what I found might have pertinence to the slow update and possible slow machine comments; as well as the problem of a process that runs intermittently.

================== My Mistake =====================

I found that I had inadvertently loaded OneCare on 4 machines.  Since I only use my desktop and laptop normally, I can not speak to how the other two are running.  I'll have to go play with them to find out.

But I suspect that OneCare goes and looks to Update and it can't because there isn't a valid license.

I just deleted OneCare and reloaded the free anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-pop-up, and firewall software I had on the laptop before I purchased OneCare.  That reduce my licenses to 3.

I would guess, if someone has a similar problem, then they might need to purchase an extra license for the 4th computer.  However, I don't see a means to Add a fourth or fifth computer to my "Circle".  You might have to pay for 3 more licenses.  I would guess OneCare has something figured out for supporting a workgroup of more than 3 computers.

Moderator?  Any suggestions for adding a 4th computer to the "Circle"?

Anyone else find that they had similar problems, and found they had OneCare loaded on more than 3 machines?

Friday, December 7, 2007 12:52 AM
  • I've answered your other post and moved it to the General topic folder. No, the 4th PC isn't the cause for the high CPU with winss.exe. That is a bug being investigated by the OneCare team.

And, you can't, by terms of the license, add a 4th PC to a subscription. One subscription per LiveID and 3 PCs per subcription, so that means only 3 PCs in a Circle.

-steve

Friday, December 7, 2007 2:02 AM
  • Same problem stated on my pc today.  Winss.exe is sucking up 100 % of the processor time, leaving me unable to use the pc.  Tomorrow I'll remove One Care and go back to Norton Internet Security so I can use Outlook and Visual Studio.

roverturf

support@harvestdatasystems.com

Microsoft Partner and ISV

Friday, December 7, 2007 2:43 AM