none
Can not restore any client from the WHS v1 RRS feed

• Question

• When I load the Restore CD I get a message that sez Network error, verify that your network is active and that your WHS is powered on.

The server is on and I can access it from other computers.

As far as I can tell, the problem is with the Server because I can not do a restore from any of my client computers.  I get the same message.

The motherboard in the Server has onboard ethernet that does not work, so I have a add-in Realtek card installed. It is RTL 8139 and the onboard connection disabled.

I have read How to update Realtek NIC drivers during Bare Metal Restore

I can not get it to work following those instructions, I just get a message that sez no drivers found.  (I think this is because I am trying to load drivers onto the client)

The client computer has a Realtek 8168/8111 card in it.

The client computer shows 1 network card found in the hardware list that you can look at during the restore and it is the 8168/8111 card.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something else I know, if I run the restore CD for WHS 2011 it does find my 2011 Server. (but of course the backup files are not on the 2011 Server, they are on the V1 Server)

Short of a solution for this is there a way to get the back up files off the V 1 WHS and install them on the client PC.  Can I some how move the backup files to the 2011 Server and do it from there?

I am really in a bind here, thank you.

Bob

I also tried the Restore disc that came with WHS 2011 and put in the IP of the WHS v1 machine and it still can not find it. 

• Edited by Bob Millard Friday, October 19, 2012 3:27 PM
    Friday, October 19, 2012 3:01 PM

Answers

• Try the following:

1. Set your server to use DHCP, if it's not set this way already. If you've never allocated your server a fixed IP address, then you don't need to do anything as DHCP is the default.
    2. Connect your server and the client you're trying to restore directly, with a network cable and no other devices in between.
    3. Try the restore CD.

This will usually work because the server and the client will both use APIPA (Automatic Private IP Addressing) if they are configured to use DHCP and no DHCP server is found. Two computers using APIPA are guaranteed to be on the same subnet, and should therefore be visible to each other.

If this fails, you can reconnect your server to the network and try restoring using some other client computer as follows:

1. Connect the drive to which you want to restore to the client computer.
    2. On the client computer, run C:\program files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe.
    3. At the appropriate time, choose the drive to which you wish to restore.
    4. Proceed through the restore process.
    5. Install the drive in the client computer you're restoring.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Bob Millard Saturday, October 20, 2012 4:43 PM
    Friday, October 19, 2012 5:18 PM
  • Ken

I tried the direct cable between the server and one of my PCs and it does not work.  Not one single PC that I have will find the server with the restore operation.

Still sez it can not find network. ...

This is a driver issue: the drivers for the NIC in the selected client aren't baked in to the Vista-based WinPE restore CD. The documented procedure is to take the drivers for the selected client computer (backed up every night with the rest of the computer) and put them on a USB stick. Then use that when you're shown that no network can be found. If that doesn't work, then you go on to the Realtek NIC workaround (which is ugly, but beyond Microsoft's control, really; Microsoft isn't responsible for the quality of drivers Realtek delivers). And if that doesn't work, you use the additional workaround I proposede.

Regarding not letting you choose the correct drive, you must use a drive at least as large as the one you're restoring, and (if there were multiple partitions on the drive) you must generally restore all partitions at the same time. This means that you can't use Windows Home Server's backup of a client computer to e.g. restore the boot partition to a much smaller SSD.

And as for moving drives from server to server, that absolutely will not work. The drives will not integrate into the new server's storage pool. It's possible to move the backup database, but it's not particularly easy and it's not recommended.

Saturday, October 20, 2012 1:42 AM

All replies

• Try the following:

1. Set your server to use DHCP, if it's not set this way already. If you've never allocated your server a fixed IP address, then you don't need to do anything as DHCP is the default.
    2. Connect your server and the client you're trying to restore directly, with a network cable and no other devices in between.
    3. Try the restore CD.

This will usually work because the server and the client will both use APIPA (Automatic Private IP Addressing) if they are configured to use DHCP and no DHCP server is found. Two computers using APIPA are guaranteed to be on the same subnet, and should therefore be visible to each other.

If this fails, you can reconnect your server to the network and try restoring using some other client computer as follows:

1. Connect the drive to which you want to restore to the client computer.
    2. On the client computer, run C:\program files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe.
    3. At the appropriate time, choose the drive to which you wish to restore.
    4. Proceed through the restore process.
    5. Install the drive in the client computer you're restoring.

Friday, October 19, 2012 5:18 PM
  • Ken

I tried the direct cable between the server and one of my PCs and it does not work.  Not one single PC that I have will find the server with the restore operation.

Still sez it can not find network.

Tried putting the target drive directly into the server, but it does not let me pick the drives properly.

Put in a new network card into the server (just bought it today), that does not work.

I am going to take one of my computer and build it up as a server.

Question though, the server has/had 3 drives, one for C: and D: and the other two as storage E:.

Where are the actually backups on the server, on the 2 storage drives?

Can I just take the 2 data (storage) drives and put them in the newly built server box and expect them to work?

Thank you for your time and effort.

Bob

Friday, October 19, 2012 7:23 PM
  • Ken

Still sez it can not find network. ...

This is a driver issue: the drivers for the NIC in the selected client aren't baked in to the Vista-based WinPE restore CD. The documented procedure is to take the drivers for the selected client computer (backed up every night with the rest of the computer) and put them on a USB stick. Then use that when you're shown that no network can be found. If that doesn't work, then you go on to the Realtek NIC workaround (which is ugly, but beyond Microsoft's control, really; Microsoft isn't responsible for the quality of drivers Realtek delivers). And if that doesn't work, you use the additional workaround I proposede.

Regarding not letting you choose the correct drive, you must use a drive at least as large as the one you're restoring, and (if there were multiple partitions on the drive) you must generally restore all partitions at the same time. This means that you can't use Windows Home Server's backup of a client computer to e.g. restore the boot partition to a much smaller SSD.

And as for moving drives from server to server, that absolutely will not work. The drives will not integrate into the new server's storage pool. It's possible to move the backup database, but it's not particularly easy and it's not recommended.

Saturday, October 20, 2012 1:42 AM
  • Thanks, tomorrow is another day.

So far I have about 10 hours in this.

As much as I hate it, I may just reload everything from scratch and then worry about why the restore does not work.

Thank you for your help.

Bob

Saturday, October 20, 2012 2:50 AM
  • Ken

I got it.

I finally put every driver I could find on a flash drive for the server and the client.

Nvida nForce 10-100-1000, Realtek RTLH86.sys, both XP and Vista 32 bit.

Life if good again.

Thank you so very much for sticking with me.

Bob 

• Edited by Bob Millard Saturday, October 20, 2012 4:42 PM
    Saturday, October 20, 2012 4:08 PM