Office Communicator via VPN RRS feed

• Question

• I just want to confirm whether there is any way to use Office Communicator from home via VPN without setting up an Edge Server.  We're using OCS 2007 Standard Edition.  Everything I've read points to need for separate Edge Server, but we can't figure out why OCS server wouldn't see the remote VPN connection as within the network.  Thanks in advance, Fred

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 2:35 AM

Answers

• Hi Fred,

You can definitely use a VPN without an Edge. The Access Edge server allows users to connect _without_ a VPN.

If you plan on having all remote users use a VPN connection you are fine. However if you would like to be able to  federate, have public IM connectivity (yahoo, AOL, MSN), or host web/video conferences that non-employees (e.g. customers) will connect to, then you need an Edge Server.

In the MS documentation package, there is a doc called "OCS_EdgeServerDeploy" that has a lot of good info. On page 4, there are a couple sections that talk about when you need an Access Edge, Web conf edge, and A/V edge. (it never specifically mentions VPN there, but it does say that it is for users who don't have access to your intranet; but by having a VPN connection, your users probably do have access to the intranet)

Regards,

Matt

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 2:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Fred,

You can definitely use a VPN without an Edge. The Access Edge server allows users to connect _without_ a VPN.

If you plan on having all remote users use a VPN connection you are fine. However if you would like to be able to  federate, have public IM connectivity (yahoo, AOL, MSN), or host web/video conferences that non-employees (e.g. customers) will connect to, then you need an Edge Server.

In the MS documentation package, there is a doc called "OCS_EdgeServerDeploy" that has a lot of good info. On page 4, there are a couple sections that talk about when you need an Access Edge, Web conf edge, and A/V edge. (it never specifically mentions VPN there, but it does say that it is for users who don't have access to your intranet; but by having a VPN connection, your users probably do have access to the intranet)

Regards,

Matt

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 2:16 PM
  •  

The main thing to watch out for is the certificate side, we are using TLS and as the certs are domain bound, I can only access via VPN on a machine that is a domain member.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 7:26 AM
  •  

So, if I start using TCP vice TLS, then I can cross VPNs?  I think I tried that and I still had no luck.

Right now, I'm having a problem getting my Front End Server service to start...anyone know a fix?

The error codes that I'm getting are 0xC3EC79E8 and 0xC3EC79E6.

I also found this error in my Event viewer that didn't pop up at me: 0xC3E93C47 (specific error 3286842439)

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 3:39 PM