no-ip.com and portforwarding ? how do I do it? RRS feed

• Question

• In an earlier thread from me I asked which ports to forward on my modem to be able to access my home page on WHS http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1298006&SiteID=50

The bad thing is that I have a dynamic Ip, which renews once in a while. Not so often but annoying enough. I have set up an account on www.no-ip.com. If i understand right this is what I've done:

Since I have a dynamic IP I installed a program from no-ip which sends my actual ip to www.no-ip.com , which is updated against "my own free domain on my-ip.com". Now i always can connect to my server with the adress (in this case http://"myname".no-ip.info)

But HEY! I wanted to get a static ip to use with my own domain which I have bought.  I can forward my bought domain to http://"myname".no-ip.info, but how do I do the portforwarding? Is the deal that this is not possible. Do I have to buy an extra service from no-ip to do this?

Can someone guide me a little here

Thanks -- k4ke--

Monday, March 12, 2007 3:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• There are several posts on here regarding port forwarding.  There are several variables when considering forwarding.  Router type, ISP modem type, firewalls used.  I would suggest searching the forum for past experiences and you may find a setup comparable with yours.
    Monday, March 12, 2007 4:31 PM
  • The problem is, that I cant find anyone having the same problem as me. No problem getting a "static-ip", its the port-forwarding part. Can you give me link to that post. Sorry me for being so good finding the right thread. hehe
    Monday, March 12, 2007 4:35 PM
  • You should consult the documentation for your home network router as it is what will need to be configured to forward requests on the 3 needed ports (80, 443, 4125) to your WHS and the how's of how to do so tends to differ between the different router manufacturers.
    Monday, March 12, 2007 4:39 PM
  • For your own domain, yes, but to get a static IP with it, unfortunately not. I have a dynamic IP too and it gets a bit frustrating at times, but no-ip saves the day. I have a couple of no-ip plus accounts with them. :)

First of all, it's exactly what it says on the tin. It's a free service so long as you don't want your own domain transferred. It's free to use any of the free *.no-ip.com domains. You don't actually have to portforward on no-ip's service unless you want to get around any port 25 blocks your ISP may have imposed on you (By the way, WHS does not include an SMTP agent, and final won't either if I caught everything in that channel9 intro to WHS, so you'll have to go third-party). The only port forwarding you need to do is through your routers web interface. Due to the way DNS works, no other forwarding on specific domains is required. If you haven't set up port forwarding, forward 80, 443 and 4125. If you have a Linksys router, it means you'll need to make 3 entries, one entry for each port, and be sure to keep the protocol as TCP. UDP won't work.

You need to create a host, so under "Hosts / Redirects", click 'add'. In the box next to hostname, enter the name you want your PC to be identified as, like, your last name for example or the name you've called your WHS system if you changed it. Make it an A record, so make sure that DNS Host (A) is selected. Make sure thats your IP in the IP address box, then click "Create Host". Excellent, you're done. You now have to wait up to(Sometimes finishes in 5 minutes) half an hour while the DNS changes propagate through the various DNS servers across the net. Once done, you should be able to goto your server by doing yourhostname.no-ip.com.

Now, to keep this A record updated, you need the No-IP Dynamic Update Client. This client is a tool which keeps all your hosts in sync with your outgoing IP. Click Here to visit the download.com site to get the official DUC client. Once downloaded, install, then start it up. Enter your username and password when requested and click Ok. Once the new window shows, it'll list the hosts your currently have. Place a tick next to them all, and DUC will check every so often and report back to No-IP when your dynamic IP changes again, updating all your hosts for you, without your intervention.

Hope this helps. I've had extensive experience with No-IP so be sure to let us know if you are still running into problems.

Monday, March 12, 2007 4:49 PM
  • If you read a little on my previous link as shown in start of thread, you would see, that that is not my problem. I can get the ports forwarded. But let us say i have the domain www.k4ke.com (not possible, but anyways) I have a ip which changes once a month or so. So get the no-ip service from a third party. Earlier i just connected my domain, www.k4ke.com to my ip and then i would get to my modem. To get passed the modem I have to forwards ports. This works well, and this is not my problem. The problem is that within the month I will get a new ip.

I can use a service from a third party whichh automatically updates my ip against a domain which i can choose like http://www.k4ke.no-ip.info, but that is not what i bought and want to use. I want to use www.k4ke.com (which i theoretically bought). How do I forward ports on my modem when i cant tell which incoming ip to forward to my server. The ip is updated all the time to the no-ip via my program installed on my pc. Earlier I made rules saying that all incoming connections to the ip 123.xx.xxx.xx on port 443,80 and 4125 should be forwarded to 10.0.0.2 on the same ports (all ports in different rules). Now i dont know which connection should be forwarded. It could be 456.xxx.xx.xx or 789.xxx.xxx.xx. I cant use a rule saying that all connections on these ports (that would be 0.0.0.0 on f.ex. 443) would be forwarded to 10.0.0.2?

Maybe a little complicated writing, but hope you understand the problem :)

*EDIT*: I do only have a modem from SpeedTouch and as far as I have seen, the only thing to do (and to do wrong) is portforwarding, which I havent had any problems with yet. No routers or things like that. I have a CNET swith, but there is nothing to do on a switch;)

Monday, March 12, 2007 4:54 PM
  • To PinkFloydYoshi (and others)

As you can see I have edited my recent post, and the only thing I'm wondering is the forwarding bit on my modem I can set outside ip:port and inside ip:port. Should i write a 0.0.0.0:port and 10.0.0.2:port ? Or am I making a big hole then? I have managed to log on to the DUC client and have selected my zone which i created on no-ip.com

Monday, March 12, 2007 5:10 PM
  • Yes, you want to use 0.0.0.0 as your outside IP. No, it is not a security hole. Searching for "speedtouch port forward" on Google gives many posts indicating this is the correct thing to do for your situation.

For example http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Thomson-Alcatel/SpeedTouch510Alt/default.htm

Monday, March 12, 2007 5:17 PM
  • Thank you for your thread. I got it up in under an hour.

Also, the support guide at the website is very easy to follow.

Dawg. :)
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 3:58 AM
  • Superb that this thread is helping people...

Ive got it working now. I tried to use the 302 forwarding on my domain hosted by godaddy.com. Found out that forwarding to my no-ip adress did not work. Thougt i could do that, but no. Why is that really?

Anyways. thanks for helping me

Thursday, March 15, 2007 3:26 PM