System Drive Replacement RRS feed

• Question

• Does Vail have a procedure for replacing a system drive that also is part of the Media pool.

I would be looking for a procedure that allows for something like the following:

1)  Add a new drive with a (60Gb) partition for the System as well as a second partition for the media pool

2) Format the second partion on the new drive.  Add it to the media pool

3) Remove the media pool from the system drive.  Allow Vail to move the data (onto the new drive).

4) Copy the system to the System partition on the new drive.

5) Shut down the System and remove the old System drive

6) Restart the system with the new system drive.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 8:18 PM

Answers

• There are a couple of options, depending on what your actual goal is. What you propose isn't one of them, however.

One option is to remove the system drive from the pool (which you can do now), replace it, and reinstall. After removing the (new) system drive from the (new) storage pool, you should be left with only a "non-default" pool, which you can promote to "default".

Another option is to remove the system drive from the pool, back up your system, replace it, and use the recovery feature of Windows Server 2008 to restore the system onto the new drive. I like this option better. A headless server would need the recovery to run remotely, obviously.

In any case, if you have a small system drive now I would remove it from the pool. It doesn't help much, and having the system drive separate from server storage is helpful. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 11:39 PM
  • Actually I found a simple solution.

Here's what I did.

1) Remove the System drive from the storage pool.

2) Did a system backup selected bare metal & system drive

3) Installed a new drive, created a new partition of 60GB, formatted it  and assigned it drive D.

4) did a restore of the system backup to drive D.

5) Rebooted system with drive D.  Reboot failed Drive not bootable. Opps!

6) Rebooted using the Vail DVD.  Instructed it to repair system drive (D)

7) Repair completed rebooted into Vail and added remainder of new drive as system drive.

This process was fairly easy, it might have been nice to add the new drive storage partition to the storage pool ahead of time (however I have enough storage where that wasn't necessary and all my data is marked as redundant so this only left me with a small amount of time where this was not the case)

Another thing would be if the system restore under an opperating vail system would allow marking the drive as bootable, as this would remove the need to reboot under the DVD and repair the (new) system drive.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 10:39 PM

All replies

• There are a couple of options, depending on what your actual goal is. What you propose isn't one of them, however.

One option is to remove the system drive from the pool (which you can do now), replace it, and reinstall. After removing the (new) system drive from the (new) storage pool, you should be left with only a "non-default" pool, which you can promote to "default".

Another option is to remove the system drive from the pool, back up your system, replace it, and use the recovery feature of Windows Server 2008 to restore the system onto the new drive. I like this option better. A headless server would need the recovery to run remotely, obviously.

In any case, if you have a small system drive now I would remove it from the pool. It doesn't help much, and having the system drive separate from server storage is helpful. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 11:39 PM
  • Actually I found a simple solution.

Here's what I did.

1) Remove the System drive from the storage pool.

2) Did a system backup selected bare metal & system drive

3) Installed a new drive, created a new partition of 60GB, formatted it  and assigned it drive D.

4) did a restore of the system backup to drive D.

5) Rebooted system with drive D.  Reboot failed Drive not bootable. Opps!

6) Rebooted using the Vail DVD.  Instructed it to repair system drive (D)

7) Repair completed rebooted into Vail and added remainder of new drive as system drive.

This process was fairly easy, it might have been nice to add the new drive storage partition to the storage pool ahead of time (however I have enough storage where that wasn't necessary and all my data is marked as redundant so this only left me with a small amount of time where this was not the case)

Another thing would be if the system restore under an opperating vail system would allow marking the drive as bootable, as this would remove the need to reboot under the DVD and repair the (new) system drive.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 10:39 PM