missing and reapearing network shares RRS feed

• Question

• I have set up a small network with 6 pc and one server (done it servral times before) but this time it is a bit strange. All PC are connecting to the server to import a netdrive. After i start a pc it took some time (probably one minute) until the netdrive is connected. That would be fine, but for some reason at some point the PC cannot access the netdrive and all the PC visible on the network before are vanished too, only the pc i am working with is visible. If i am waiting some time (minutes) the network will reapear. The network connection is never lost in between only the the pc and the server disapears.

The PC are all Windows XP Professional SP2 and the server is Windows 2003 SBS. On the server runs F-Secure Server 7.something and all PC except one are running F-Secure Client Security 7.21 (configured locally), the local network is in the exception list of the personal firewall. And of course other software but i do not think that will interfere with the network. They are all connected via a gigabit switch network (server 1Gbit, PC 100Mbits).
    There is no dhcp server, so the IPs are static.
    For the network shareing all pc are using the same user and password and the user is present at the server. Not much configuration done at the server.

I am a bit lost at this point, i hope some of you has an idea

If you need some more info i am willing to share but i hope i have not forgotten something

TIA
    Pingnu
    Friday, August 29, 2008 7:15 AM

All replies

• Hai,

1. Have you checked the application and system event log while the net drive disappears? if so, please post that too.

2. Have you installed any antivirus/spyware/malware protection? Run complete scan.

3. How do you connect/map the network drive? Do let me have a brief about that.

4. I think it could be some worm behaviour. You update the latest signatures and run a scan.

5. Connect one computer and check whether it is getting vanished? Like wise rest 5.

I am just giving some suggestion on this. Let us try.

Shanthi

Thursday, December 4, 2008 1:20 PM