Problem with a Briefcase within a SyncToy Folder Pair. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm relatively new to SyncToy; started with version 2.1. The idea is nice, but for me it's a problem that there appears to be no way of also synchronizing specific individual files; only entire folders. What I'm trying to do is synchronize one folder as well as a couple of specific files that must remain in other folders (database files associated with specific programs and located in their folder trees), with a master copy on a shared drive on one of the 3 machines involved (all three machines should be able to maintain identical copies of the files involved, but the machine with the shared version is not always up or available, therefore they cannot work off the shared versions). So I tried the following: I created a synchronized folder pair (synchronize, not echo; except hidden and system files), and within one of them, I created a Windows Briefcase with copies of 2 files from various locations on the particular machine. The master folder is on the shared drive, and as expected, SyncToy made the master copy of the briefcase a regular folder. The number of files and folders is small, but if I do this with Briefcases, I have 3 Briefcases scattered all over each machine and must navigate to and update each of them every time I know a change has been made. I'm trying to get it down to one easy to find operation on each machine. Here's the setup:

Desktop 1:
    Left Folder on Partition 1 contains 7 .xls files, 3 .txt files, 1 .wab file, and 1 Briefcase named "Special"
      Briefcase contains copies of 2 .dat files, 1 from \Program Files\Program Name, and 1 from \Documents and Settings\name\Application Data\app\Profile\data folder
    Right Folder on Partition 2 is shared on the LAN/WLAN and mantains copies of the same 11 files and 1 Folder named "Special" containing copies of the same files as the Briefcase

Desktop 2:
    Left Folder on Partition 1 contains 7 .xls files, 3 .txt files, 1 .wab file, and 1 Briefcase named "Special"
      Briefcase contains copies of 2 .dat files, 1 from \Programs\Program Name, and 1 from \Documents and Setting\User\Application Data\app\Profile\other data folder (file paths must be slightly different, but file contents should remain identical)
    Right Folder is the shared folder on Partition 2 of Desktop 1 via WLAN

Laptop:
      Briefcase contains copies of 2 .dat files, 1 from \Programs\Program Name, and 1 from \Documents and Settings\name\Application Data\app\Profile\yet another data folder (file paths must be slightly different, but file contents should remain identical)
    Right Folder is the shared folder on Partition 2 of Desktop 1 via LAN or WLAN

Here's the problem/quirk/possible bug: If I right click on the Briefcase inside the left folder on any of these 3 machines, sometimes the context menu shows Update All and sometimes it doesn't. All my other briefcases work fine. Furthermore, this quirk occurs immediately, it does not first start after I use Synchtoy for the first time after creating the Briefcase. It's as if there's something about the folder that has already been synchronized with Synchtoy that causes this behavior with Briefcases created inside it.

I suspect only the creators of Synchtoy could even begin to explain this behavior, and if it's a bug, only they would be able to determine so.

Friday, January 1, 2010 3:29 PM