Backup failure on 2nd SATA hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Windows Home Server and connected 3 PC’s to the server.

The version information for WHS is:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1500.6

Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1500.8

Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1500.6

Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1500.6

Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1500.8

The automatic backups are working fine for 2 of the PC’s.

The problem PC is a Dell XPS420 running Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600.)  The PC has 2 500GB Serial ATA hard drives.  The system is new as of January 2008.  There have not been any hardware failures.

The backup of the drive C: completes OK.  The second drive (E: on this system) gets the following error:

Failure Details for Volume (Local Disk):

An unexpected exception occurred on the computer.

NullReferenceException

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at

Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.IsSamePath(DirectoryInfo di, String[] path)

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.GetExcl

The event log shows:

Received abort message from SYSA with reason 7.

I have done some research on this and have followed a suggestion of running a CHKDSK E: /F /R.  I have taken the drive out of the backup.  I then deleted all backups of the PC and then run the CHKDSK.

I am continuing to experience this error.

I appreciate any help that may resolve this problem.

Thanks.

Curtis

Friday, April 11, 2008 2:47 AM

All replies

• Good news for anyone that has been interested in my problem.

I considered that the problem drive just would not backup.  I reconfigured the backup to process only the drive in question.

I discovered that the drive is ok and backed up properly.

I suspected this to be a problem caused by inadequate storage capacity on the server to backup both drives.

I reconfigured the backup to do both drives expecting to get the failure.  A failure would prove, in my thinking, that I lacked adequate storage capacity on the server.

Much to my surprise both drives backed up this time.  ????  I'm at a loss on how to explain this, but I can't argue with success.

Curtis

Thursday, April 17, 2008 1:20 PM
  • I had a similar and intermitant problem. It turned out that one of my drives was a "green" drive. Green drives aparently slow down sometimes to save a tiny bit of power and if that is the case and the other drive(s) are rotating at higher speed the entire thing just wonks out. I removed the green drive and went to all standard identical drives and I have not had that issue since.
    Monday, October 15, 2012 11:15 PM