WHS console log-on and Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have just bought an Acer Aspire Easystore 340 with WHS.  My problem is that I am unable to connect to the Home Server Console from my Windows 7 PCs, but have no problems connecting from Vista or XP.
    My home network consists of 2 Dell desktops on a wired network (via Powerline), one running Windows Vista and one running Windows 7.  There are also 2 laptops a Sony Vaio running Windows 7 and a Samsung netbook with Windows XP.  I set up the server using the netbook (despite its short 600px screen display). During setup the server upgraded itself to PowerPack 3, but the CD software that came with the server would not allow the Windows 7 PCs to connect.  I got round this by downloading the updated WHS Software to a memory stick using the Vista PC and running the install from this, and it then worked, so I assume this was an issue with Windows 7 not being recognised by the original WHS software.
    I am able to connect to the HS Console from either the Vista or XP computers (one via wireless and the other hard wired network), but when I try to connect from either of my Windows 7 PCs I get a message box saying "This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes."
    But I can see all four of my PCs in the console window when I access it from one of my other computers, and as I write, my Windows 7 desktop is running a backup, started manually from the Vista PC via its console window.
    I have Avira security suite on all 4 computers, configured the same on them all (default settings) and Windows Firewall is turned off.
    I thought it might be a password issue, but the 2 users of the 4 computers each have their own strong password, which is different to the logon password for WHS console.
    I can't think what else to try and would value any ideas or suggestions.

Chris
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 2:01 PM

Answers

• What happens if you disable the firewall.
    --
    • Proposed as answer by Al West Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by chrisincram Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:42 PM
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Are all your computer showing the correct data and time?  I'm not too sure if you have got the right Connector Software installed - can you uninstall what you have and download and install the package from http://servername:55000/

Thanks,
    Al

--
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 2:12 PM
  • My PCs all show the same date and time - not sure how to check the server time. 

My browser can't find the page http://aspirehome:55000/ on the Windows 7 PCs. It can on the others. I did download the software from the server to run it on the Windows 7 PCs, but it's not connecting using that.

Chris

Sunday, April 11, 2010 2:16 PM
  • Okay, on all the machines can you ping the server by it's IP and also it's name.  i.e. on each machine run:
       ping aspirehome
    and:
       ping 192.168.1.10   (or whatever the IP is)

Then on each machine run ipconfig

You have to do all this from a command prompt,  type CMD in Start->Run

--
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 2:18 PM
  • ping aspirehome gets a response on the Vista machine but not on either of the Windows 7 machines.

ping 192.168.0.9 (the IP address of the server) works on all the machines.

ipconfig on the Vista PC shows its IP address as 192.168.0.7 and default gateway as 192.168.0.1

It also refers to Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection * 6 and 7, media disconnected.

ipconfig on the Win7 desktop shows IP address 192.168.0.5 and 3 references to disconnected Tunnel adapters.

ipconfig on the Win7 laptop shows a page full of tunnel adapters (up to no 72) but no IP address - it's like the page has scrolled down to show all the tunnel adapters and has lost the data at the top.

Does this sound like a DNS problem, if it can ping the server but not see its name?

(I haven't tested these on my wife's netbook as she's using it, and so far has worked the same as the Vista desktop, but I can do that if you think it will help)

Chris

Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:18 PM
  • How are the Windows 7 computers connected to your network?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:20 PM
  • one hard wired, the other wireless
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:27 PM
  • Do you use DHCP for all your client machines? If not I would suspect on the windows clients you have put your ISP DNS entries there rather than the router.  That's why I wanted to see the ipconfig output from one machine that works okay and one that doesn't.  Though you seem to have a high number of tunnel numbers on your W7 machines.

--
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:29 PM
  • It occurs to me that I had a problem when I installed Windows 7 that it wouldn't connect to a  Homegroup on the network. Perhaps the current problem relates to this - but I'm not a network expert!

Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:43 PM
  • That shouldn't be causing a problem.   Again I say did you manually setup your network adapters or did you leave them as automatic (Dynamic/DHCP)?  If you go to the LAN Connection on each of the W7 PC's (Open Networking and Sharing Centre->Change Adapter Settings->Right Click "Local Area Connection" select Properties, click Internet Protocol Version 4->Click Properties Button->Set both Obtain IP & DNS Server address automatically radio buttons. and hit OK.
    --
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:47 PM
  • As far as I can tell, yes. The network settings on each PC look the same, with DHCP enabled. Have I understood you correctly, or do you need more information?

Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:48 PM
  • They were both set automatically, and haven't been set manually at all. I've checked them both again and they are as you say.
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 4:58 PM
  • What happens if you disable the firewall.
    --
    • Proposed as answer by Al West Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by chrisincram Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:42 PM
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:07 PM
  • It works!  How embarrassing is that!  I was sure I'd tried that before without success.

I just need to work out how to add a new rule to Avira's firewall to allow it through.  But the non-Windows7 PCs all have the same version of Avira firewall running, and it allows it through on them!

Sunday, April 11, 2010 7:12 PM
  • Possibly installation order was different on the various PCs?

You'll find information on what ports need to be opened in the Home Networking technical brief.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 9:45 PM