none
False sense of synchronization :O

General discussion

• I used to have SyncToy in high regards for its simplicity and usability and used it blindly. It never reported problems during synchronization.

One day out of curiosity I decided to use MD5Summer to generate MD5 hashes of all the files (recursively) in the synchronized directory. Then I used that same one to verify the files copied by SyncToy.

I was shocked to see that many of the copied files (target) actually had errors in them and were not a correct copy of their originals. However, SyncToy never performed any check nor indicated the copied files were not good.

I switched to TrueFileSync or something like that which actually does perform checks of files after they have been copied/synced. I loved SyncToy but until that issue is resolved I have no longer recommended it to anyone. 

Would love to see SyncToy performing better checks during/after sync as it made syncing very easy. The other app I am using works and works well but its a bit more convoluted, something not suitable for some of the people I know that can make good use of such free application.

http://www.virtual-aviation.net/

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 6:31 PM

All replies

• I don't know if you'll see this reply, but here goes anyway.  Did you happen to check any of those synced files?  Are there really errors or is it some file difference that doesn't cause a problem?  I'm not familiar with MD5Summer.

I wonder if there will ever an update to SyncToy.  It's been over three years now.

• Edited by RX752 Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:40 PM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:34 PM
  • I don't know if you'll see this reply, but here goes anyway.  Did you happen to check any of those synced files?  Are there really errors or is it some file difference that doesn't cause a problem?  I'm not familiar with MD5Summer.

I wonder if there will ever an update to SyncToy.  It's been over three years now.

Yes I saw it :-) and indeed I did check my original files and they were okay, NOT corrupted. However, the "synced" files (those copied by SyncToy) contained errors, not all but many.

I switched to FreeFileSync and while it is not as simple as SyncToy (loved its simplicity) it *does* check that the files are a good copy, plus other features. Haven't had a problem with it, not even with the same set of files on the same set of source/destination media.

http://www.virtual-aviation.net/

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:25 PM
  • OK, you said they were not corrupted, but they contained errors.  What sort of files and what problems were you seeing?

My backup solution right now is drag and drop copy.  This is because I've heard noises about SyncToy causing file problems, but I never found anything specific.  However, my backup is getting too unruly to manage manually, and I need something that can reliably sync.

• Edited by RX752 Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:03 PM
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:03 PM