Update Rollup 1 Setup Error RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HPm1170n.  I installed a new hard drive.  I then loaded original OEM software from HP recovery disk I made when I first got the computer.  Then I loaded XP SP2 from a microsoft disk.  Then I downloaded all of the critical updates prior to SP3.  I also have an Avermedia HD tuner that I want to install (I had installed on the old hard drive).  According to Microsoft website and Avermedia, I need to install Update Rollup 1 for Windows Media Center 2005.  When I try to do that, I get an error "Setup cannot continue because one or more of the pre-requisites required to install Update Rollup 1 failed.  For more details check the log file C:\WINDOWS\MC05Upd1.log"  He is the most recent entry from that log file below.  This is very frustrating to me especially after a fresh new install.  I need to have this resolved please!

0.141: 2009/01/01 12:37:03.203 (local)
    0.141: c:\8a518a05af350308e9502d\update\update.exe (version 5.5.31.0)
    0.172: Service Pack started with following command line:
    0.594: Return Value From IsMediaCenterPC = 1
    0.594: Condition succeeded for section PreReq.SingleOp.MediaCenter in Line 1 of PreRequisite
    0.594: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Ident is Not Equal To Specified Value
    0.594: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Ident is Not Equal To Specified Value
    0.594: Condition Check for Line 2 of PreRequisite returned FALSE
    0.641: ReadStringFromInf: SetupGetLineText failed: 0xe0000102
    0.641: Update Rollup 1 Setup encountered an error:  Setup cannot continue because one or more pre-requisites required to install Update Rollup 1 failed. For More details check the Log File C:\WINDOWS\MC05Upd1.log
    0.656: ReadStringFromInf: SetupGetLineText failed: 0xe0000102
    0.656: Setup cannot continue because one or more pre-requisites required to install Update Rollup 1 failed. For More details check the Log File C:\WINDOWS\MC05Upd1.log
    6.797: Message displayed to the user: Setup cannot continue because one or more pre-requisites required to install Update Rollup 1 failed. For More details check the Log File C:\WINDOWS\MC05Upd1.log
    6.797: User Input: OK
    6.797: Update.exe extended error code = 0xf0f4
    6.797: Update.exe return code was masked to 0x643 for MSI custom action compliance.
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 6:05 PM

Answers

• Stephen A D,

Thank you for contacting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum.

If you have a Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for Windows XP affixed to your system, then there is a strong likelihood your system is licensed to run Windows XP.

Windows Product Key  Update Tool & Detailed Instructions:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx

The Product Key Update Tool was designed to update a non-genuine Product Key previously used to activate Windows XP with a known good Product Key.

If you have antimalware or firewall programs installed, please make sure these programs are set to allow the Product Key Update Tool to have full access to the Internet. If for some reason this does not work, then try calling telephone activation. See Below:

Also you may reference the following site for various Telephone Activation Centers:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

Any further issues you have regarding hardware changes between you and HP, OS issues as a result of the hardware changes, should be addressed with HP.

Thank you for visiting the WGA program forum.

Rick

ps- I work with Stephen Holm

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Tuesday, January 6, 2009 9:43 PM
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 9:43 PM

All replies

• Hello Stehen,

Please run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Test (MGADT) so that I may analyze the results.

By clicking the link below, you will download the MGADT.  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Please tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for your copy of Windows XP.

1. What edition/version of Windows XP is titled?

·         Home

·         Professional

·         Media Center

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for, see this page to reference your COA:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/product.aspx?pID=2abf99cd-a5e4-469c-802e-55ca8ec542d5&cID=ea710cad-37b0-4975-bcd6-abfee19961df&method=oem&displaylang=en

NOTE: The data collected with the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you for your participation here on the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forums. We look forward to working with you.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    Friday, January 2, 2009 10:05 PM
  • Stephen,

BTW, nice first name!

OK, below you will find the diagnostic report.  Now let me answer some of your questions.

1. What edition/version of Windows XP is titled?   Media Center pre-installed into my HP m1170n

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?  This HP m1170n came preloaded with all software and a recovery partition.  I also created a recovery DVD.  So, I don't have any XP Media Center disk.  I do have on the side of the competer a green certificate tag titled Microsoft XP Media Center Addition 2005 all in black lettering.  I have the product key too but you told me not to post that.

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?  No.

4. Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.   I thought I was pretty specific but here goes again.  From my original post......I have an HPm1170n.  I installed a new hard drive.  I then loaded original OEM software from HP recovery disk I made when I first got the computer.  Then I loaded XP SP2 from a microsoft disk.  Then I downloaded all of the critical updates prior to SP3.  I also have an Avermedia HD tuner that I want to install (I had installed on the old hard drive).  According to Microsoft website and Avermedia, I need to install Update Rollup 1 for Windows Media Center 2005 so that I can use multiple tuners and use a digital tuner.  When I try to do that, I get an error "Setup cannot continue because one or more of the pre-requisites required to install Update Rollup 1 failed.

OK, see the diagnostic report below.  Thanks for responding to my post so far.

Stephen Doncov

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0110.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-9TCCK-JPCBM-B2FQ8
    Windows Product Key Hash: B/IohRcCzV6LJrex8WpCdnxgTvg=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2211906-00803
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med
    ID: {769575D6-96FB-4A37-80A2-D6D33AE27A06}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.69.2
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1_FA827CE6-153-8007007e_FA827CE6-180-8007007e

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe[5.1.2600.5657]

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{769575D6-96FB-4A37-80A2-D6D33AE27A06}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0110.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-B2FQ8</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2211906-00803</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3426785125-2725427757-2418116068</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>HP Pavilion 061</Manufacturer><Model>PJ466AA-ABA M1170N</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>3.28    </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20060123000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>HP PAVILION</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>1637338701844073</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Hewlett-Packard</name><model>Pavilion</model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>  

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 1731D:GENUINE C&C INC|10531:Hewlett-Packard Company
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: HP PAVILION

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 1:22 AM
  • Stephen....OK, I looked at the validation results and I see a potential problem.  Back in April of 2007, I had to ship the computer back to HP for a repair.  As it turned out, the hard drive failed.  They installed a new hard drive and reloaded all of the software.  When I got the computer back, I did not create a new recovery disk.  I kept the same one since it is essentially the same computer with the same programs.   When I look at the validation report, I see that the last group of product ID characters do not match the green certificate on the side of my computer.  They are different.  On the side of my computer the last 4 characters are J3FVW.  The validation report has B2FQ8.  Now, I do not know if HP put a new or different product key sticker when it was repaired.  Could this be the problem?  That the new XP Media Center load (and corresponding product key) does not match my recovery DVD made from my original load when I purchased the computer?

If this is the case, I hope there is a resolution where I don't have to reload ALL software from scratch.  This takes a long, long, long, long time.  Did I say this takes a long, long time?

Let me know your thoughts.

Stephen Doncov
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 1:33 AM
  • Stephen,

One other piece of information.  The reason I had to take this approach to put in a new larger hard drive was this.  When I cloned the old drive to the new larger drive, the cloning software made 2 partitions equal to the size of the older drive and created a large unallocated space on the new hard drive and I could not solve the problem.  So, I just decided to install the new hard drive and use the HP recovery DVD to automatically set up the drive partitions and load the software.   Using this approach, it was done correctly and I could use all of the 500Gb on the new drive.  What I do have still is the old drive with the recovery partition that HP installed when the computer was repair.  Also, I could install the old drive and run the validation test on it to see what we come up with and see if the product id's are different.  I will try that and post up the results.

Stephen Doncov
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 1:41 AM
  • Stephen,

Ok, just got finished with a very long chat with HP help.  After going over this issue with them in detail, their conclusion was that I used a XP service pack 2 CD from microsoft during my reload.  He said that is the root cause of the problem.  He said I should have gone to the microsoft update website and downloaded SP2 from there as it would have recognized my computer as being a MCE2005 model.  He claims the XP SP2 CD is not for MCE2005 and that is why I am having this problem.  He gave me an activity id-267764

Is this true?  If so, how can this problem be fixed?
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 3:58 AM
  • Stephen A D,

Thank you for contacting the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forum.

If you have a Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for Windows XP affixed to your system, then there is a strong likelihood your system is licensed to run Windows XP.

Windows Product Key  Update Tool & Detailed Instructions:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx

The Product Key Update Tool was designed to update a non-genuine Product Key previously used to activate Windows XP with a known good Product Key.

If you have antimalware or firewall programs installed, please make sure these programs are set to allow the Product Key Update Tool to have full access to the Internet. If for some reason this does not work, then try calling telephone activation. See Below:

Also you may reference the following site for various Telephone Activation Centers:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

Any further issues you have regarding hardware changes between you and HP, OS issues as a result of the hardware changes, should be addressed with HP.

Thank you for visiting the WGA program forum.

Rick

ps- I work with Stephen Holm

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Tuesday, January 6, 2009 9:43 PM
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 9:43 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.  However, you did not offer me much in the way of what the problem was or is.  I provided a lot of data yet you did not offer me much feedback for me to know if it was of any value or if it indicated why I can not install XP MCE2005 Rollup 1.  Since I am an Engineer and I like to know what I did wrong, I am going to list a series questions that I would like answered.

1)  I used my Recovery DVD to reload the XP MCE2005.  The XP MCE2005 product key loaded does not match the product key ID on the side of my computer.  Is this a problem?  Yes or No?

2)  After loading XP MCE2005 from the recovery disk, I loaded XP SP2 from a microsoft disk.  It of course is not a XP MCE2005 update disk.  Was this a mistake and actually the root cause of my problem?  Yes or No?

3)  Does XP MCE2005 already include SP2 updates specific to XP MCE2005?  Yes or No.

4)  Would the correct procedure have been to reload XP MCE2005 from my recovery DVD, then load XP MCE2005 rollup 2 from the microsoft update site?  Yes or No?

5) Or would the correct procedure have been to reload XP MCE2005 from my recovery DVD, then load XP MCE2005 rollup 1, then load XP MCE2005 rollup 2?  Yes or No?

6)  I have the old drive with a validated XP MCE2005 that was operating just fine with XP MCE2005 rollup 1 installed.  Would it be best to put the old drive back into my computer and create a new recovery DVD so that the XP MCE2005 version matches the product key id on the side of my computer?  Yes or No?

7)  Once I get XP MCE2005 installed along with XP MCE2005 rollup 2 update installed, should I got to the microsoft update site and agree to download and install SP3?  Yes or No?

8)  Prior to this thread, I first installed XP MCE2005 from my recovery DVD, then installed XP SP2 from a microsoft CD, then went to the microsoft update website and downloaded SP3 and installed it.  When I did this, Media Center became inopperative.  I checked microsoft forums and most (if not all) users reported that after installing SP3 Media Center would no longer work.  Will Media Center work with SP3?  Yes or No?

9)  If SP3 will not work with XP MCE2005, is there any patches or fixes which allow XP MCE2005 to work with SP3 installed because I could not find any.  Yes or No.

10)  When I go to microsoft windows update website, does it understand I have XP MCE2005 and only make available those critical updates that will work with XP MCE2005?  Yes or No?

11)  I read thru your email in detail as well as the information on the website for the Windows Product Key Update Tool and Detailed Instructions.  My concern is that if I use this software to change my product key id I will still have a problem if I use my original recovery DVD to reload XP MCE2005 because it will then again not match the COA sticker on the side of my computer.  Is my concern correct?  Yes or No?

12)  After I run this software to change my product id key, will Microsoft send me a new COA sticker to put on the side of my computer?  Yes or No?

13)  I would like to propose a series of steps for me to execute and want to know if you agree.  I would like to take my new hard drive out and install my old hard drive.  From my old hard drive, create a new recovery DVD.  Remove the old hard drive.  Install the new drive again and reload XP MCE2005 from the newly created recovery DVD.  Install XP MCE2005 rollup 1, then  install XP MCE2005 Rollup 2.  After this, my XP MCE2005 product id should match my COA sticker and I will have updated XP MCE2005 to the very latest update.  Would this not be the best approach?  Yes or No?

In your email you write "...there is a strong likelihood your system is licensed to run Windows XP."  Well, I am absolutely certain beyond a doubt it is.  I also know that it is licensed to run XP MCE2005.  I am 100% positive of this.  This has always been my computer.  However, due to my ignorance, I believe I reloaded my software in error somehow and I believe it was because I used the XP SP2 CD in the process and perhaps using a recovery dvd made from a previous load of XP MCE2005 that does not match the product id key after my HP was repaired.  I need to know if this was my error because if I have to reload the software again for any reason, I need to know what my mistake was so I don't repeat it.  Please take the time to answer my questions so I know where my error was.  I need to know this before I embark on changing my product id key.  Thanks for your time and effort.

Stephen Doncov
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 12:40 AM
  • I am having  the same problem 

i have aHP Pavilion -

Want to do a update fails with same error - 

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Ident is Not Equal To Specified Value 

Monday, September 12, 2011 5:42 AM
  • please do not resurrect a 2 year old thread.

This thread has been marked as Answered, if the answer did not resolve your issue then please create your own thread and include a Diagnostic Report as described in the Announcements section (top of page in the main forum page).

Thank you,

<Thread Locked>

Darin MS
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:05 PM