Remote Desktop Bug? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've noticed a peculiar but repeatable issue with Live Mesh Remote Desktop. In my configuration, I'm connecting *from* Vista 64 Business *to* Vista 32 Ultimate, if this matters. My accounts on both machines are Administrator level, not Standard.

If I log into the remote machine when the machine is freshly booted or after logging off so that no user is currently logged in, I obtain a session in which my remote desktop enjoys ClearType and shows me the contents of a window as I drag it. That is, very much like RDP. However, in this mode, no file copy and paste from the remote machine to my local machine is possible (paste remains grayed out on the local machine).

Once I log in as a user (by first having a session as described in the paragraph above, but exiting the remote desktop by simply closing the window instead of logging off), the nature of future Live Mesh Remote Desktop sessions changes. Now, Cleartype is not present and I see only the outlines of windows as I move them. The experience seems more sluggish as well. However, file copy and paste works.

I'm guessing this has something to do with whether or not only the system-level service is responding to the call for a remote desktop session or if the Live Mesh notifier has had a chance to log in and take control.

What I'd like to see is the first experience, with ClearType and visible windows content during dragging combined with copy and paste that works, whether or not I choose to log off the machine before closing my remote session (I'm not concerned about security here since a new session still presents me with a locked desktop requiring authentication whether or not I'm logged in).

Is anyone else experiencing this behavior? I can reproduce it at will, so it's repeatable.
    Saturday, August 16, 2008 10:23 PM

All replies

• I recommend that you file a bug on this:

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, August 18, 2008 5:35 PM
  • Stephen Boots said:

I recommend that you file a bug on this:

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator

I'd love to, but the instructions on gathering up the Live Mesh logs do not work for me. I see nothing labeled "Collect Live Mesh Logs" or similar when I visit the main Live Mesh Folders from the shortcut created in the Start menu. Perhaps this feature relies on Vista's automatic folder contents discover system that typically customizes the folder toolbar and file information display options. I have this auto discovery turned off. Otherwise, I'm not sure why I don't see this option. I can submit the logs manually, however, if someone were to tell me which ones to submit. There are no logs in /Users/David/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Live Mesh/Logs, but the GacBase folder does seem to contain some.

David
    Monday, August 18, 2008 8:40 PM
  • That's odd you see the shortcuts for Live Mesh folders, but not Collect Live Mesh logs. (separate but equally interesting bug there) 

To do it manually:

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Live Mesh\GacBase\

double click : CollectMoeLogs.bat

After it finishes running you'll have a file on the desktop: LiveMeshLogs.cab 

-ken
    Monday, August 18, 2008 10:43 PM
  • kensm [msft] said:

That's odd you see the shortcuts for Live Mesh folders, but not Collect Live Mesh logs. (separate but equally interesting bug there)

Thanks for the manual procedure, Ken. This particular issue (the log collection, not the Remote Desktop bug) was actually just a misunderstanding. I was looking for some sort of context-sensitive menu item, link or toolbar button within the Live Mesh folder itself rather than expecting a shortcut in the same Start Menu program folder. My plan is to clear out my logs, reproduce the issue a few times and then collect up and send out the new logs (so that they don't contain too much extraneous info).

David
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:22 PM
  • If you can please save the logs off first just incase it doesn't reproduce :)
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:36 PM