Server Backup schedule and off site drive RRS feed

• Question

• I backup my WHS 2011 server to a portable hard drive which I keep at work for an off site backup.  The schedule for WHS backups is once a day, this fills the logs with backup failed messages. 

Is there a way to make server backups manual only? 

I basically want to bring the drive home plug it in, run a backup, unplug the drive, and take it back to work until next week for another backup.  Daily backups are really overkill for a home server when very little is changing day to day.

Thank you for your help.

Mike

Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:00 AM

All replies

• Actually the default server backup schedule is twice per day, not once. You can do what you want by disabling server backups in the Dashboard after taking a backup and re-enabling them the next time you want to make a subsequent backup, then repeat the sequence. Before you do that though think about the consequence of a server failure in the interim.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:28 AM
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:28 AM
  • That is not a very good solution.  Turning off server backup generates a warning for the server, I guess I will have to ignore it.

I do not see a problem, the server disks are raid 10, therefore redundant.  There are only 3 regular users, the backed up information is primarily e-mail which is still on the mail server and can be redownloaded.  The likelyhood of the server and a PC having a problem where everything is lost at the same time is low. I do not see a real problem with having to recreate up to one week worth of home files.  I think it is much more important to have an off site backup than daily backups.  If my house is lost or damage and I lose the server I still have the backup, if the server backup is at home all is lost.

I can understand daily backups for a small business server, but it seems to be overkill for a home server.

Thursday, January 19, 2012 11:49 AM
  • Just telling you the story of what you can do, I am not Microsoft! The idea is to rotate backups offsite, so you permanently have a backup drive connected and thus get the best of both Worlds.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:21 PM
  • Swap disks on a regular basis. I have two disks that I rotate off site weekly.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:00 PM