WHS 20011: Dashboard not showing drives/folders RRS feed

• Question

• Weird error.  WHS2011 seems to be working fine, but the Dashboard, whether I run it on the server or remotely doesn't show the Shared Folders or Hard Drives in the tabs - it just shows "Refreshing the list of items..." - and stays like that.  After an hour the list still isn't populated.

• Moved by kariya21Moderator Sunday, April 24, 2011 6:53 PM not a WHS v1 question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Friday, April 22, 2011 1:56 PM

Answers

• It's very strange.  I'd had it installed for a week on a Hyper-V VM, and I was migrating all my data from my v1 VM.  Couple of days ago it just stopped working (it could have been something to do with the AWIECO DriveInfo plugin, which worked fine for a few days, then that whole section of the dashboard stopped working).  Kept getting a NULL SID audit failure event in the security evt. logs (ID=SYSTEM, Account Name=MACHINE$, Logon Type=0x03) - which now appears to have gone.

Seems OK now.  Don't think I'll add DriveInfo - wasn't that useful anyway.

Monday, April 25, 2011 8:44 PM

All replies

• Weird error.  WHS2011 seems to be working fine, but the Dashboard, whether I run it on the server or remotely doesn't show the Shared Folders or Hard Drives in the tabs - it just shows "Refreshing the list of items..." - and stays like that.  After an hour the list still isn't populated.
    Has it ever showed up (even when you first installed it)?  If not, you might try reinstalling the OS.
    Sunday, April 24, 2011 6:54 PM
  • It's very strange.  I'd had it installed for a week on a Hyper-V VM, and I was migrating all my data from my v1 VM.  Couple of days ago it just stopped working (it could have been something to do with the AWIECO DriveInfo plugin, which worked fine for a few days, then that whole section of the dashboard stopped working).  Kept getting a NULL SID audit failure event in the security evt. logs (ID=SYSTEM, Account Name=MACHINE$, Logon Type=0x03) - which now appears to have gone.

Seems OK now.  Don't think I'll add DriveInfo - wasn't that useful anyway.

Monday, April 25, 2011 8:44 PM
  • Hi alfeersum,

would you like to provide us more information about your issue with the AWIECO DriveInfo add-in to get to the bottom of it.
    Please feel free to contact us.

Kind regards
    Elvis

AWIECO - home server solutions
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 9:07 PM
  • Hi Elvis,

Sorry for the delay in the reply.

I'm beginning to think that it isn't an issue with the DriveInfo add-in - though I haven't experienced the issue since removal - but being away, I haven't really had the opportunities to look anyway.  If I encounter the problem again I'll reply here.  I suspect that this is an issue in WHS with failed folder moves and the filesystem resynching - manually running the \Microsoft\Windows\Windows Server\Cleanup and \Microsoft\Windows\Windows Server\ConsistencyChecker tasks potentially resolved the issue - though at some stage (I've got some maintenance to do before anything else) I'll redeploy DriveInfo and see what I can see.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:26 AM
  • I am currently having this same issue, and I have never installed any add-ins. I am unfamiliar with those tasks you mentioned and how to run them, any ideas?
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 10:49 PM
  • I am currently having this same issue, and I have never installed any add-ins. I am unfamiliar with those tasks you mentioned and how to run them, any ideas?

You need to open Task Scheduler (Start->Administrative Tools->Task Scheduler), and follow the path under Task Scheduler Library (e.g.  \Microsoft\Windows\Windows Server\) - you'll see the tasks listed.  Right-click the task you want to execute and select 'Run'.
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 8:28 AM
  • Backing up the server seemed to fix the issue. Thanks for your help.
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 6:56 PM