forgot windows live id RRS feed

• Question

• i am trying to reinstall windows live onecare on my computer but it will not take my product key.  it says that it is already active??  i had installed onecare on my computer once before but my computer ended up crashing and i had to do a pc recovery.  i can't remember the windows live id and password that i used before.  any suggestions on how to fix this?  thanks.

Sunday, May 10, 2009 1:42 AM

Answers

All replies

• I first bought One Care when I had Windows XP installed on my laptop, the mother board failed so I sent it back to Dell to get it replaced, files became corrupt with the crash so I just held off until the release of Vista. At that time I ran a low level format on the hard drive and performed a clean Vista install.

With all three of my One Care licenses used (one being this mentioned laptop) I then needed to reinstall One Care, but ran into the same problem you're having (with the exception I knew my ID). I called the 1-800 number that was available at that time, spoke to a very nice girl and she reset what ever needed to be done in less than 30 seconds so I could then dump the old XP install and migrate my One Care service to the new install.

Seeing as how they no longer have the 800 number easily available you'll probably have to fight your way through the annoying automated and worthless help attempt to reach an actual person either in email or chat. They should be able to at least tell you the live ID username used when you registered since they took your real name and credit card info to do so.

The One Care support team is extremely helpful, if you can get through their managements BS in place to actually somehow ever reach a real person.
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 3:57 AM
  • The product key cannot be re-used to activate One Care. All that's needed is the Live ID and password associated with your subscription. If you cannot recall your Live ID and password support can help retrieve them. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 4:56 AM