CPU Utilization at 100% when copying files RRS feed

• Question

• I'm logged in directly to the Server (I'm still setting it up). I'm trying to copy my TV show collection to the server from an external HDD. As soon as I start the file copy, the CPU usage jumps to 100% and the file transfer speed stays at 3.5 MB/s. Copying the files from my winxp machine to the external HDD took about 5 minutes. (It's ~290GB) But copying from the HDD to the WHS is supposedly going to take 22 hours. What's going on??? The exact same thing happened when I tried to copy over the network.

I have an Intel Celeron 2.8 GHz CPU with 1 GB of RAM. Two 500 GB IDE HDDs.
    Thursday, October 1, 2009 10:46 PM

Answers

• Are you using PIO mode for your drives? A high CPU load is a typical indication.
    Please verify your Bios and device manager settings (IDE controller, primary and secondary channel).

You should see DMA (or Ultra-DMA).

LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Friday, October 2, 2009 6:24 AM

All replies

• Are you using PIO mode for your drives? A high CPU load is a typical indication.
    Please verify your Bios and device manager settings (IDE controller, primary and secondary channel).

You should see DMA (or Ultra-DMA).

LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Friday, October 2, 2009 6:24 AM
  • I think I love you. Actually, no. I KNOW I love you. That solved my problem spectacularly!! Thank you so much!!
    Friday, October 2, 2009 7:25 AM
  • Please be aware that a disk that has stepped down to PIO mode may indicate a problem with the disk, or with the cabling or controller (usually the disk though), and if it happens again, you almost certainly have a hardware problem somewhere.

It wouldn't hurt to run chkdsk on all the drives in your server before you get too much more data on it.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 2, 2009 3:09 PM
  • I just barely bought the disks... They were factory recertified, but they should still be okay, right?
    Will a chkdsk tell me about any and all physical errors on the disk?

Thanks again!
    Friday, October 2, 2009 5:47 PM
  • "Factory recertified" means you bought used disk drives. The factory has supposedly tested them and certified them as fully functional, but I'm not going to say if they're okay or not.

Chkdsk, if run as described in the FAQ I linked, will check all your drives for errors and attempt to repair them if any are found. There is no guarantee that it will be successful if a disk is failing...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 2, 2009 7:37 PM
  • Well I guess we'll see then. I wanted some cheaper IDE drives, so that's what I got. I knew they were used, I just figured, "hey, if they're factory recertified, that means they should work, right...?"

Right now I'm running a drive balancing program, but when that's done I'll do a chkdsk.

Thanks again!
    Friday, October 2, 2009 10:34 PM