No Valid Office Key RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have Office 2003.  I bought it from a major electronics chain when I bought this computer.  Never had update problems till now.  When I run the validation tool, it tells me ...

Microsoft Office OneNote 2003:

Validation Failed
    No valid Office key was detected. This is a strong indication that the Office product installed is not genuine.

I recently had to reformat my drive & reinstall the operating system.  Then I reinstalled Office & other software.  Could that have caused the problem?

Another poster with a similar Office 2003 problem was told to delete

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\OFFICE\data.dat

but I don't have that file - I have opa11.dat in that folder.

What should I do?

Thanks

Ralph

Thursday, March 1, 2007 5:50 AM

Answers

• Weather Ralph,

Yes what another poster shared was correct. I see you didn't have this file present. Normally I like to have customers run a diagnostic at:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/Validate.aspx?displaylang=eng but I want to give you different guidance for now. Some activation problems indicate your license file is corrupted for Microsoft Office 2003 or for Microsoft Office XP. If the license file is corrupted, you cannot resolve the problem by removing and then reinstalling the Office product. The license file is not removed when you remove the Office product. Additionally, the file is not overwritten when you reinstall the Office product. Another symptom of a corrupted license file is a failure to successfully pass Office Genuine Advantage validation. 

If the license file is corrupted, use the following methods to delete the license file for Office 2003.

1. Click Start, click Run, type C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data, and then click OK.

2. Right-click the Opa11.dat file, and then click Delete.

IMPORTANT:  DO NOT DELETE THE OPA11.bak FILE.

3. Close the folder.

4. Start an Office 2003 program to start the Office 2003 Activation Wizard.

The following Knowledge Base Articles can provide more information for Office Activation issues:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/en-us

Did this work?  I look forward to the outcome at your earliest opportunity.

Stephen MS

Thursday, March 8, 2007 12:33 AM