Live OneCare firewall - what are the correct settings RRS feed

• Question

• I have Vista sp1, Home Premium edition. I uninstalled McAffee, purchased and installed OneCare. Since then, I hae had a number of odd issues arise

1: Dell 966 printer driver disappeared - subsequently, I reinstalled

2: Outlook - my ISP is BellSouth.net (now AT&T). A file necessary for communication with BellSouth went missing - subsequently reinstalled

3: Firewall - not sure what exactly happened, however, after I set to "on", all the firewall settings, the OneCare Live icon went to green.

However; I continue to have odd problems occuring with Outlook and my Dell 966 printer. I suspect the firewall settings could be contributing.

What should the firewall settings be, and how exactly do I check what they currently are?

Thank you

Bill

Friday, November 21, 2008 8:18 PM

Answers

• Open OneCare, click on change settings. There is a firewall tab. Click configure firewall and make sure that your network is identified as "Home or Work" if you are behind a router, and "Public" if you are directly connected to the modem and, therefore, the Internet.

How is the printer connected/configured? Is it a network printer or is it directly connected to your PC? OneCare could be at fault if it is a network device and your network is identified as Public.

Outlook should not have any issues with the OneCare firewall. I'd be more suspect of a leftover part of McAfee software causing the issues there. Use their removal tool -

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

-steve

Saturday, November 22, 2008 3:04 AM