CRM 3.0 and Sql server reporting services RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,
    I have CRM 3.0 and SQL server installed on a server and I do my .Net development on another server.  Does anyone know how to access the CRM database remotely?  I want to be able to develop and use sql server reporting services and access the CRM database from my development environment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jinx'd
    Friday, May 23, 2008 7:11 PM

Answers

• The only way to connect up that way to SQL to develop SRS reports is to be on the same network as the SQL box.  This is limitation of SQL and SRS and the way that authentication is passed.  SRS looks for local (local on the network) instances of SQL and connects up.  If its not on the network then you can't connect.

The easiest way around this is to use VPN.  Connect up to the VPN of the network where SQL server you want to connect to resides and a way you go.  You can be remote this way, otherwise you have to be onsite local with the SQL box.

Fronk

Friday, May 23, 2008 10:37 PM

All replies

• The only way to connect up that way to SQL to develop SRS reports is to be on the same network as the SQL box.  This is limitation of SQL and SRS and the way that authentication is passed.  SRS looks for local (local on the network) instances of SQL and connects up.  If its not on the network then you can't connect.

The easiest way around this is to use VPN.  Connect up to the VPN of the network where SQL server you want to connect to resides and a way you go.  You can be remote this way, otherwise you have to be onsite local with the SQL box.

Fronk

Friday, May 23, 2008 10:37 PM
  • use VPN

Monday, May 26, 2008 10:29 AM