Windows Server 2008 in Work Group mode and where to add additional license at Windows SErver 2008? RRS feed

• Question

• If you have Windows Server 2008 in Work Group  mode do you need to add the CAl License and where do yo add the additional license at?
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 8:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you are not going to use Terminal Services, you don't need to enter the license in somewhere. CAL is just like the driving license, you can drive the car without a license. If you don't have a license while you meet a policeman, what will happen? The same with Microsoft, you can 10 or more computer in your computer if you only have 5 CALs, but it's illegal, right?

The defaut CAL for Terminal Services is 2, if you want more connection, it will ask you for CAL. So it's different from the "normal" CAL.
    • Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Friday, May 15, 2009 6:32 AM
    Friday, May 8, 2009 7:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I recommend that you refer to the following link, it may be helpful for you:

CAL Guide

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/sam/lic_cal.mspx

Best regards,

Vincent Hu

Thursday, May 7, 2009 9:51 AM
  • This explains about license but now where does it tell you where to entered the license.  Somebody told me you use Terminal Services ????  Does this makes sense?? I am not going to use Terminal Services.  I simply what to know where to show I  have 5 additional license and where it shows the number I license  I have.   Why is this such a hard question?  In Server 2003, I believe it was in the Server Manager. 
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 8:24 PM
  • Hi,

If you are not going to use Terminal Services, you don't need to enter the license in somewhere. CAL is just like the driving license, you can drive the car without a license. If you don't have a license while you meet a policeman, what will happen? The same with Microsoft, you can 10 or more computer in your computer if you only have 5 CALs, but it's illegal, right?

The defaut CAL for Terminal Services is 2, if you want more connection, it will ask you for CAL. So it's different from the "normal" CAL.
    • Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Friday, May 15, 2009 6:32 AM
    Friday, May 8, 2009 7:40 AM
  • hi there,

i accept with both vincent and pravin,

mklafert , i would suggest you to understand the terminal services to understand the CAL, or else you might not be able to understand in either of the ways explained to you.

please follow the guide provided by vincent and post us back to assit you further.

without terminal server licensing  installed how can you show license ? for this you need to install the server.

sainath Windows Driver Development
    Friday, May 8, 2009 8:05 AM
  • I understand Terminal Services.  I am not using Terminal Services but in 2003 you used to entered the CAL'S license in License Manager.  From my research it seems that you are on the honor code in Windows Server 2008.  If you ready my original post, you will see I only ask where to put the additional CAL and did not mention Terminal Services. I purchase the correct number of CAL'S.  I am totally legal.  So, I am correct in that since I am not using Terminal Service I just need to purchase, (which I  have) of license but don't need to entered them anywhere in Windows Server 2008 like I did in Windows Server 2003.  Correct???!!!
    Monday, May 11, 2009 12:31 PM
  • don't need to entered them anywhere in Windows Server 2008 like I did in Windows Server 2003.  Correct???!!!

I think so!
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 3:21 AM