none
Participating the 70-646 exam, requirements RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I want to do the 70-646 exam. I already have the 70-640 certificate. Can I take this exam without having the 70-642 certificate?

Thanks in advance,

Robin 

Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:34 AM

Answers

• You can do any exam without specific order. But in order to be recognized as MCTIP: Server Administrator, you have to pass all the required exams. So if you dont have 70-642 you can sit for 70-646 but you will not get the credentials of MCITP. After you will pass the 70-642 you will get your MCITP.

Marek Chmel, WBI Systems (MCTS, MCITP, MCT, CCNA)
    Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been helpful for you.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:57 AM

All replies

• You can do any exam without specific order. But in order to be recognized as MCTIP: Server Administrator, you have to pass all the required exams. So if you dont have 70-642 you can sit for 70-646 but you will not get the credentials of MCITP. After you will pass the 70-642 you will get your MCITP.

Please Mark As Answer if my post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been helpful for you.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:57 AM
  • Hi,

I think you can't. Prometric should not allow you to apply to an MCITP-level exam without having the corresponding MCTS certificate already.

(Maybe technically it's possible. But I would recommend to avoid taking any action which seems as gaming the system as you might be decertified and closed out in the future.)

If you check this page (and select the Windows Server 2008 tab, and then the MCITP from the "Paths to" drop down menu), then you'll see a path where the 70-646 exam is displayed on the top of the MCTS certification.

Please take a look on Certification Planner as well.

Good luck on 70-646!

Zoli

Thursday, September 6, 2012 9:16 AM
  • Hi,

I think you can't. Prometric should not allow you to apply to an MCITP-level exam without having the corresponding MCTS certificate already.

(Maybe technically it's possible. But I would recommend to avoid taking any action which seems as gaming the system as you might be decertified and closed out in the future.)

If you check this page (and select the Windows Server 2008 tab, and then the MCITP from the "Paths to" drop down menu), then you'll see a path where the 70-646 exam is displayed on the top of the MCTS certification.

Please take a look on Certification Planner as well.

Good luck on 70-646!

Zoli

You can and prometric will allow you to enroll. Have done this several times, to have MCITP level exam first, than MCTS.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 9:18 AM
  • That's OK, thanks.

Does it apply to MCM-level exams as well? :)

Thursday, September 6, 2012 9:36 AM
  • You can take any non-MCM exam in whatever order you wish.  Furthermore, Microsoft doesn't provide an order for which exams should be taken and will not "decertify" a candidate.

You cannot sit a MCM exam if you haven't passed the prerequisite exams(s).

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Thursday, September 6, 2012 11:14 AM